Can you eat an egg from a chicken who is on tetroxy hca-280?

How did you find this? I looked, but didn't see where it indicated how long before you could consume the eggs.

I have heard of this problem, you can go to the website of the maker of your feed and it should tell you how long it takes to flush the antibiotics out of your hens after being taken off that feed. I bypassed this all and got feed store crumbles that only have an added thiamine blocker with vitamins, what I read was that the eggs were fine to eat while phasing it out with layer. We've been eating them and have no problems, now they're almost completely on layer.

Last edited:
to bring this upto date
FROM MY PET CHICKEN
Starting January 1, you will only be able to purchase this product through a veterinarian! We have put our remaining Tetroxy HCA on "final clearance" sale.

Oxytetracyclene is a broad spectrum, highly concentrated antibiotic powder for administration in the drinking water of chickens. Indications for chickens: for control of infectious synovitis caused by Mycoplasma synoviae; chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infections caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli; control of fowl cholera caused by Pasturella multocida, susceptable to tetracyclene.

9.87 oz size is sufficient to medicate 128-512 gallons of water, depending on the recommended dosage. Mix fresh solution daily and use as the sole source of drinking water. Administer 7 to 14 days to chickens. The drug manufacturer warns to not use this product in birds producing eggs for human consumption, but most veterinarians will tell you to withdraw eggs during treatment and 10 days after treatment; please consult your doctor or veterinarian before making any decisions.

Also please consider offering your chickens this probiotic product after treatment with this antibiotic. Not only will it help their immune and digestive systems bounce back, but it is shown to prevent bacterial infection in the first place!
ttps://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/products/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=1188&

Bimeda, Inc. Tetroxy HCA Soluble Powder (Oxytetracycline HCl) ANADA 200-144, Approved by FDA
MIXING INSTRUCTIONS FOR WATER MEDICATION

CHICKENS - TURKEYS - SWINE

DOSAGE AND INDICATIONS FOR USE IN WATER PROPORTIONERS - Add the following amount to one gallon of stock solution when proportioner is set to meter at the rate of one ounce per gallon.

Chickens: Disease Treatment Level Packs/Gal. Stock Sol.

Control of infectious caused by Mycoplasma synoviae, 200-400 mg 1/4-1/2 (70-140 g)
susceptible to oxytetracycline

Control of chronic respiratory disease (CRD) and air sac infectious
caused by Mycoplasma gallisepticum and Escherichia coli, susceptible to oxytetracycline. 400-800 mg 1/2-1 (140-280 g)

Control of fowl cholera caused by Pasteurella multocida, susceptible to oxytetracycline. 400-800 mg 1/2-1 (140-280
https://www.drugs.com/pro/tetroxy-hca.html

Bimeda, Inc. Tetroxy HCA Soluble Powder (Oxytetracycline HCl) ANADA 200-144, Approved by FDA

I’m getting ready to pick some of this up tomorrow.
Now I’m not sure since I see you can’t ever eat the eggs ??
My chicks have been on corid a couple different times and I still have one die every now and then .
They slow down one day & dead the next .
No chicken vet here to take them, plus by the time you notice it’s to late .
A friend recommended the tetroxy

Corid treats coccidia, an intestinal parasite. Oxytetracycline is an antibiotic that can help manage Mycoplasma gallisepticum, an infection that never goes away regardless.
This drug is (was?) approved for use in Canada, with a egg withdrawal period that you would have to look up. It's not approved for laying hens in the USA, because it remains in the egg yolks at some level for a long time.
Why use it?
Mary

I’m getting ready to pick some of this up tomorrow.
Now I’m not sure since I see you can’t ever eat the eggs ??
My chicks have been on corid a couple different times and I still have one die every now and then .
They slow down one day & dead the next .
No chicken vet here to take them, plus by the time you notice it’s to late .
A friend recommended the tetroxy
It would be best to start a new thread in the disease forum describing the symptoms and history of the deaths in your flock. A necropsy at your state lab would be the best bet for finding out what disease you are fighting what, if any drug, might help.

Personally, I raise chickens to avoid any chemicals in my eggs.

Back
Top Bottom