1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can you eat fertile eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommy of two, Apr 28, 2013.

1. mommy of two

mommy of two Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    This might seem like a silly question but I have no clue so I am asking! I really want a rooster but I didn't know if you could eat the eggs as long as you gathered them up every day before the hen gets broody and incubates them. And if you can eat them do they taste the same as an unfertilized egg?

2. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, you can eat them. They taste the same and as long as they haven't been under a broody to start the incubation it is pretty much exactly the same as an infertile egg.

3. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Yes, you can eat a fertilized egg. Gathering eggs often during the day, washing them, and getting them in the fridge are the best thing to do with your eggs, especially if you have a rooster around. All of the eggs you get won't be fertilized anyway. If they are, the most that you will probably see is a fertilization spot.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. mommy of two

Apr 5, 2013
    Thanks! Also if we do decide to hatch the eggs does it matter if they mix breeds? I want a barred rock rooster so what if he bread with one of our Rhode Island Red hens? What would the chick be like?

1 person likes this.
  5. bugglesmommy

They can crossbreed, the chicks would just be mutts. I'm not a genetics expert and I don't know much about dominant or recessive traits with those breeds.

1 person likes this.
  6. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013

7. mommy of two

Apr 5, 2013
    Thank you! My husband is all worried if we end up having mixed breeds that they will be ugly chickens!

8. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    If you get ugly chickens, time to change the rooster!

Here's a lovely mixed breed hen. The rooster (a RIR) is her father, mother was a Golden Buff (red sex link from Meyer).

[​IMG]

9. bugglesmommy

I don't ever find chickens to be ugly really ... except naked necks. They freak me out! (Sorry naked neck lovers)

To me there are chickens and then pretty chickens.

2 people like this.
  10. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You'll need to check out the Ugliest Chicken Contests here on BYC. You'll change your mind right quick. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by