Can you eat fertile eggs?

mommy of two

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
This might seem like a silly question but I have no clue so I am asking! I really want a rooster but I didn't know if you could eat the eggs as long as you gathered them up every day before the hen gets broody and incubates them. And if you can eat them do they taste the same as an unfertilized egg?

Yes, you can eat a fertilized egg. Gathering eggs often during the day, washing them, and getting them in the fridge are the best thing to do with your eggs, especially if you have a rooster around. All of the eggs you get won't be fertilized anyway. If they are, the most that you will probably see is a fertilization spot.

18ad33b9_tell-chicken-eggs-fertile-1.5-800X800.jpeg

Thanks! Also if we do decide to hatch the eggs does it matter if they mix breeds? I want a barred rock rooster so what if he bread with one of our Rhode Island Red hens? What would the chick be like?

Thanks! Also if we do decide to hatch the eggs does it matter if they mix breeds? I want a barred rock rooster so what if he bread with one of our Rhode Island Red hens? What would the chick be like?
Both are considered to be dual purpose chickens. I do know that Rhode Island Reds are used in some of the crosses that produce sex-link chickens, which enables you to sex the chicks at birth because of color, but they use a Rhode Island Rooster in that cross and a Delaware hen(I think).
It is hard to say what they would look like, but I would think the hens would be decent laying chickens. .

Back
Top Bottom