Can you eat fertile eggs?

If your rooster grows up to be aggressive towards the kids, you have far worse problems than his spurs. If he's aggressive at all towards humans, simply get rid of him. You won't want to keep him. An aggressive rooster could still do damage with beak and claws to a toddler. Add to that the fact that people who are attacked by roosters when young often are really afraid of or dislike chickens for the rest of their lives--this is a chance you do not want to take.

As far as spur cap removal, you really only do it if he's accidentally hurting hens or can't walk well. And I say accidentally, because if he's hurting hens on purpose, he's gotta go. Our big rooster accidentally cut a hen pretty badly while mating, which is why we took the spur cap off with pliers. When it healed, it was too dull to cut anyone and about an inch shorter.
Exactly. :)

I had a rooster accidentally tear a big hole in my favourite hen's side. It was inches wide and very disturbing in looks.

Damage to the hen can often happen when they are molting especially.

I just bought Barred Rock hens and the man I bought them from said that it was fine there wouldn't be a big difference because i wanted to buy a Red Island Red Rooster and he convinced me to buy the other rooster only because he was so much more tame... I'm a beginner and wanted it to be a little easier on me

I just bought Barred Rock hens and the man I bought them from said that it was fine there wouldn't be a big difference because i wanted to buy a Red Island Red Rooster and he convinced me to buy the other rooster only because he was so much more tame... I'm a beginner and wanted it to be a little easier on me
RIR have the reputation of being mean roosters, but we had a wonderful RIR rooster that we just lost to an infection last week. He was five years old.

Roosters are individuals just like dogs. Some breeds have the reputation of being more aggressive, but there are good and bad individuals in every breed.

Our roo is a barred rock, and our RIR hens will run up to him and bump chests and get all poofy until he hangs his head lower than theirs and walks off! It's pretty funny!

RIR have the reputation of being mean roosters, but we had a wonderful RIR rooster that we just lost to an infection last week. He was five years old.

Roosters are individuals just like dogs. Some breeds have the reputation of being more aggressive, but there are good and bad individuals in every breed.

I started with some Barred Rock roosters...and got some mean ones. Made it easier for them to end up in the freezer. Then I raised a Buckeye rooster and tried the 'hugging' technique (I read about it in mother earth news)...which is basically hugging him when he's being aggressive until he relaxes. Not only is he not aggressive at all towards humans (he runs up to greet me and follows me around), he is the bomb with his hens. He is always on the look out for them, getting food, he even will chase off my dogs when they get close to his ladies.
So I agree with you WalkingOnSunshine, maybe the breed can be used as a guideline, like I've never seen a bantam d'Uccle be anything close to aggressive, lol,but it's case by case, and how you raise them. If they grow up on their own, more wild, then they are bound to be skiddish of humans, etc.
One thing is for sure...when you find that perfect rooster...keep him
big_smile.png

Quote: Our rooster is a RIR. (I'm having a great time trying to learn all the acronyms...lol)
Anyway, We banded his leg with a little zip tie when we still had him and 3 or 4 other boys the same age. We had been given 22 chickens teenagers when they outgrew their previous owners patience level. Went a little crazy at the baby chick tub at the hardware store, I guess. So... he was so docile, and even tempered, we banded him, so when we the other boys were headed to freezer camp, he wouldn't get scooped up by accident. Soooo sweet. We dont "pet" him, or "hold" him, and never did.... but now he's 2-ish and we can pick him up if needed without him being an *** about it, and he seems pretty comfortable with us standing right beside him. He finds food, and dances, and "sings"... Such fun to watch him.

Anyone know of a good thread to find out about these noises he makes? They are hard to describe, arent they?
There's the cock-a-doodle-doo... crowing sound. Then he will make the same "I laid an egg" sound that the hens make sometimes... bock bock bock BABOCK!
But he makes this one that I just love but dont understand.
It's a long, fairly high pitched... squeal? My husband says its more like a whistle. I call it singing...lol. But its soft/quiet compared to other noises he makes... and it lasts for 10-15 seconds, sometimes more...it's pretty much just one tone... anyone know what I'm talking about? The hens seem to ignore it completely... they dont come over to him, they dont run away... nothing, like they are deaf to it. He doesnt seem alarmed, or nervous... We were thinking maybe he's calling to other chickens to come sign up for his group? But its sort of quiet for a call.
I don't know, but I love him. He's just so interesting...I could watch him for hours.

Back
Top Bottom