Can you eat fertile eggs?

Here is an even more interesting fact.....we are the only modern country in the world that refrigerates eggs on a normal basis. Even in England only about half the eggs sold are refrigerated and thats mostly around only the bigger cities like London. In the U.K., Ireland, Scotland, Nova Scotia, most of Germany, etc. it is very hard to find eggs that are refrigerated. Our family still does not put our eggs in the fridge, we only keep enough that the oldest one eaten is no older than 6 days and they are stored in a cabinet away from the stove where they stay cool (exactly like most of the world outside of America)

That brings up another interesting point. Most of the eggs sold in other parts of the world are sold in 4's and 6's, almost every other part of the world shops in smaller quantities about every two days. Many Americans that have not traveled a lot think that we are correct in everything and that most of the world is like us, LOL When actually people from most of the other civilized countries laugh at us for shopping 2 or 3 times a month and throwing everything in the fridge so it will last that long. They say that Americans are fat because we are too lazy to shop every couple days and that is why we have to eat so much processed foods instead of fresh which in turn makes us fat
roll.png
The sad thing is they are right.

And I guess I should bring up one more point because it is often what I hear in reply.
Most "experts" will say: Our food regulations are much more strict and therefore we know better and our food is safer. In part they are right...our regulations for the end product are more strict. What they dont tell you though is in other parts of the world that they concentrate their regulations at the beginning of the process so as not to have a compromised product to begin with. Here is a good example using eggs..

America says the eggs might have salmonella and so we say you have to wash the eggs well and refrigerate them so as to retard the salmonella growth. We are even moving towards pasteurization to cure the issue.
Most of the other world makes certain that the chickens are raised in a normal clean environment where they are not crowded into cages their entire life and forced to live in their own poop until they kill over. Therefore they have addressed the actual problem of where contamination comes from instead of just addressing the symptom like America does.

Yes, I can second this- I live in the UK and eggs here are found on normal supermarket shelf not chilled. Most are sold by half dozen, sometimes ten. But I notice more being sold by the dozen, but half is by far the most popular.

As far as regulation goes, they are quite tight here. We are not even allowed to feed any meat or anything food that has entered our kitchen.

It is my understanding that the chicks of a Rhode Island Red and a Plymouth Rock are called "black sex links". I bought some this year as my first round of hens. I googled them and they are supposed to be good dual-purpose chickens and they look pretty too. I also bought a Rhode Island Red rooster so I can have more chickens if I want. Good luck to you!

It is my understanding that the chicks of a Rhode Island Red and a Plymouth Rock are called "black sex links". I bought some this year as my first round of hens. I googled them and they are supposed to be good dual-purpose chickens and they look pretty too. I also bought a Rhode Island Red rooster so I can have more chickens if I want. Good luck to you!

yes they are BSL

A RIR crossed BSL will give you a ratio of 25% 25% 50%

50% all black Chicks (non sexlink)
25% Columbian Blacktails (non sexlink)
25% incomplete Columbian Blacktails (non sexlink)

It is my understanding that the chicks of a Rhode Island Red and a Plymouth Rock are called "black sex links". I bought some this year as my first round of hens. I googled them and they are supposed to be good dual-purpose chickens and they look pretty too. I also bought a Rhode Island Red rooster so I can have more chickens if I want. Good luck to you!

See when I bought my black sexlinks, I was told they were a cress between a barred rock and RIR

Back
Top Bottom