Can you feed broilers with broiler meat.

johnscalido

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Hi there. My name is John Scalido. I am from Alabama. I used to buy chicken from a Farmer about 10 miles from my residence. Recently I have learnt that he feeds his broilers with broiler chicken meat! i.e. He is using dead broilers, grinds them up to a mash and then feeds them to his broilers. I have stopped buying from him. Is this possible can you feed broilers with broiler meat. This is cannabalism, isn't it. I have now also learnt that this is a common practice in the industry. He is also obviously making a killing because he drives a brand new landrover and a mercedes benz worth about $200,000 each.

Not in the right section, but I flagged it so hopefully a mod will move it.

That being said, chickens can be cannibals. I don't agree with this guys practice though. Is that all he feeds them? Or is it a "treat"? There are other ways to get protein to chickens, I would be afraid that it would encourage cannibalism.

Yes, they can eat meat, they are omnivores. But I don't really find it safe to feed dead birds to them that you find
hmm.png

I thank you all for your replies. What I want to know if he feeds them only broiler meat is that Okay. One of his workers left his farm and starting doing some work for my wife. I asked him this morning. I was astonished to find out that this farmer takes some of the broilers, slaughters them and boils the meat. He then grinds the meat to a pulp and then feeds this to his broilers. He only uses this to feed his broilers and no other feed. Are there no side-effects.

Any uncooked brains could have some issues with encephilitis...other than that, if he throws the heads away, I wouldn't be too concerned...

Gogoalie, you must be joking. Surely there are side-effects. Remember I have been eating this meat for a long time. Are there no regulations against this.

Somehow that just doesn't feel right...
I'd not do that. Feeding cows to cows results in BSE (Mad Cow Disease), so it doesn't seem like a good idea for other livestock.

Quote:
Sure, chickens are OMNIVORES but the fact remains that surely there are side - effects when it comes to this type of feeding. Humans are also omnivores, you don't see me eating "human pulp"! Surely there has been some studies done on this type of feeding. Can anyone recommend.

Another question. I have have been doing some research on the Net. There are four of five main producers of broilers that is, Ross, Cobb, Aviagen which owns Ross, Hubbard and Hybro. There are also others namely such as Peterson which is a Hubbard product. Are there any other independent produces of broiler parent stock or grandparent stock.

The only thing I see wrong is the possibiltie of transferring disease from bird to bird. also I dont see how they could get enough nutrients from just meat I hope he is giving some feed .. remember folks that unwanted male chicks are often times ground up and added to chicken feed..

Back
Top Bottom