Can you feed chickens banana peels???

Ours wont touch them. They will eat styrofoam and cardboard but no banana peels!
gig.gif
Lol

HI I'm new here and only 2nd week into keeping chickens... WE have 4 Hy-Line Browns and am so happy with them... They eat their layers pellets of course but was disappointed they dont seem to recognise vegetable scraps, grass, strawberries or any of the things I wanted to give them THEY WONT touch them.. - SO what I just tried was I put apple peel,BANANA PEEL, watermelon and all the green vegetable scraps through the food processor & turned it into a Mush then sprinkled seed and crushed walnuts over the mush.. they went crazy for it.. loved it... so just checking that banana PEEL is ok to give them?

I feed mine bananas they love them but leave the skins so I put them on the compost.

Just out of interest I read that in the UK we eat in a year something like 4 million bananas more than Monkeys... We only eat 4 Monkeys.

I feed mine bananas they love them but leave the skins so I put them on the compost.

Just out of interest I read that in the UK we eat in a year something like 4 million bananas more than Monkeys... We only eat 4 Monkeys.
LOL .. which makes me ask .. Can we feed the girls Monkey skins? or just put on the compost? seriously though - another question.. Can you have a compost heap right in the chicken run?

My chickens go bananas for....... errr, bananas! They will pick whatever's left off the peel but eating the peel itself? No, not with mine.

Actually my Hyline browns wont eat ANYthing else except pellets they just wont even try it.. so what I do is put all my scraps including banana skins through the kitchen blender.. and make a " mash" then sprinkle all sorts of seeds over the top and press the seeds into the mash and they gobble it all up.. I read somewhere that they have been bred that way .. that at no time was anything other than layers pellets used in the breeding program?? not sure if it's true .. but they wont even peck at fresh herbs or grass...they dont seem to be interested

Back
Top Bottom