Can You Feed Chickens Egg Whites?

I don’t understand the people saying no. Scrambled eggs are a delicious treat for chickens, and excellent for them when they are sick. You can absolutely feed them to your chickens - no problem at all and they will love it.
You do, however, at 19 weeks want to switch them to layer feed and put out free choice oyster shells. It’s not too early.
Ok thank you for the advice! It really helps as I’m a first time chicken owner 😁

I did read the entire thread. It’s not that long. I didn’t miss anything... there aren’t any ingredients in the carton of egg whites that chickens can’t have, and she stated they are 19 weeks. What I quoted was from today at 4:05 pm. I really don’t understand what you mean.

the egg whites would definitely be enjoyed by your flock.

I don’t understand the people saying no. Scrambled eggs are a delicious treat for chickens, and excellent for them when they are sick. You can absolutely feed them to your chickens - no problem at all and they will love it.
You do, however, at 19 weeks want to switch them to layer feed and put out free choice oyster shells. It’s not too early.

The other day I forgot about a pot of eggs that I put on the stovetop to boil and accidentally over cooked them. I ended up shelling them and breaking them up into pieces and feeding them to my chickens. They loved it! I was wondering if it is possible to feed the carcass of a cooked chicken to them as well? The

Your dinosaurs will happily eat scrambled eggs, fried eggs, poached eggs, hardboiled eggs, and yes, their cooked brothers and sisters. They will in fact eat the remains of the just butchered raw brother/sister - particularly the organ meats. They aren't real picky, though of course if you do fry eggs, or serve cooked meat, I don't recommend salt, pepper, margarine and all the rest.

Plus shells.

Now, I don't recommend serving your birds raw bird entrails, its a (very minor) disease vector, and a way to build up toxins from places like the liver where they tend to accumulate already - I'd cook first. and if you feed them raw eggs, I recommend you do so in a way that they no longer resemble eggs - you don't want to encourage those behaviors in the flock. Also, if you have ducks, they will happily consume too - but if you are already at a 20% protein mix and your birds are very young, you want to be alert for signs of angel wing.

But yes, cannibalism in chickens isn't likely to be harmful to them, particularly if you cook it first, and break the pieces into less recognizable chunks to avoid any associations which might be "unfortunate" in the future.

Your dinosaurs will happily eat scrambled eggs, fried eggs, poached eggs, hardboiled eggs, and yes, their cooked brothers and sisters. They will in fact eat the remains of the just butchered raw brother/sister - particularly the organ meats. They aren't real picky, though of course if you do fry eggs, or serve cooked meat, I don't recommend salt, pepper, margarine and all the rest.

Plus shells.

Now, I don't recommend serving your birds raw bird entrails, its a (very minor) disease vector, and a way to build up toxins from places like the liver where they tend to accumulate already - I'd cook first. and if you feed them raw eggs, I recommend you do so in a way that they no longer resemble eggs - you don't want to encourage those behaviors in the flock. Also, if you have ducks, they will happily consume too - but if you are already at a 20% protein mix and your birds are very young, you want to be alert for signs of angel wing.

But yes, cannibalism in chickens isn't likely to be harmful to them, particularly if you cook it first, and break the pieces into less recognizable chunks to avoid any associations which might be "unfortunate" in the future.
Very good to know! Thank you for the help. I don’t have ducklings but I do have geese! 😁

Egg whites, on average, have 2/3 of the protein in the egg, half the vitamin B2, most of the water, and almost nothing else. No fat, no cholesterol, almost none of the other vitamins, and what they do have, they have trace amounts of. Selenium - already a trace mineral - 90% in the yolk, a mere 10% in the white. So, water and protein. That's an egg white.

Which makes perfect sense. The white is a thick liquid intended to cushion the yolk and developing chick. The yolk is all the nutrition the chick gets as it develops. When cooked (scrambled or hard boiled), both are good for chickens, but I wouldn't make them a regular meal.

Back
Top Bottom