can you feed chickens small amounts of meat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cluckin tractor, Oct 21, 2010.

1. cluckin tractor

cluckin tractor Chillin' With My Peeps

can you do it or is it not safe. is it good for protien or will it make them have a stomach upset. should i do it. if it goes ahead it will be a rare occasion because when i shoot a wild rabit, take it home and skin, gut and clean it i give the end product to the dogs and i have little scraps no more than a handful and give it to them. they like it and sorta fight over it

2. superchemicalgirl

superchemicalgirl HEN PECKED

Jan 10, 2010
    Vacationland, Maine
    They'll love it. Mine have had leftover steak tips, leftover chili, they devoured a pound of moose ground meat, and they love tuna fish. Just be careful of attracting predators with it.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Mine love tuna and salmon and I think it adds Omega IIIs to the eggs....

4. Tropical Chook

Tropical Chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Yes you can give it to them, and in fact, it's very good for them..........lots of protein. Some people are concerned about giving raw meat, but I've always done it and have never had any problems. Besides, I've never seen a chicken cooking cooking before, so I guess they were designed to eat raw meat. [​IMG]

5. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    My mini raptors love meat! They especially love it when I give them the carcasses of the chickens or turkeys that I have roasted. Ham bones as well. Nothing left to clean up except one or two bones. The protein is really good for their feathers and eggs. Just make sure you dont keel over in their run or thats all that will be found of you when the chickens are done!!!

6. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    The only thing I'd worry about with wild rabbits is tapeworms.

I give my barncat Droncit pills (at least once a year) for this reason as I know she kills & eats rabbits. She leaves uneaten bunny parts in the barn.

7. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I feed my dogs the raw prey diet outside and the chickens are always trying to eat the scraps of raw chicken and duck. [​IMG] They love it!

8. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    chickens eat everything, in the winter i feed mine canned dog food for an energy boost, they get any scraps from the table also

9. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    You've probably read other threads where chickens devour snakes, mice, toads, other birds, etc. To them it's just like worms and bugs, only bigger. People choose to try to make chickens herbivores, but they're really omnivores and eat meat whenever and wherever they find it.

Mine love frostbitten venison (can't use it all up... I have deerhunting menfolk) that's thawed and tossed into their yard in small chunks. They love leftover liver, lunchmeat, fat cut off bacon, drippings from cooked bacon.... any meat that's a bit too old to feed the other 2-legged critters that live here.
    Once my son left a suet cake from our wild birdfeeder on the ground, then came back for it, but it'd vanished. I'd watched 12 chickens have a happy afternoon around this marvelous, peanut buttery treat!

10. simpsoncj

simpsoncj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2009
    Yes. Just wait until you try it and see how they chase each other to get it!! It's quite entertaining!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by