can you feed chickens small amounts of meat?

Ours get the leftover bones & trimmings from all sorts of dishes. One of their favorties is BBQ, the spicier the better.

Oh, and lobster bodies are a huge hit too.

sounds like all okay to me. the guts do not get punctured unless the tape worms are outside the disgestive tract. become very efficent at cleaning a rabbit. should get some more often. thanks for the comments

My older girls got a treat today of fatty trimmings from our beef. There was total silence except the pitter patter of little feet after the contents of the plate fell on the ground!!!

Haha!
We call it the Typing Pool, when there is nothing but the noise of six beaks pecking on a plate for a most wonderful meaty type snack!
tongue.png

They do love meat, and now that my big girls are in a moult, I treat them to it more often. Today it will be the carcass of a Costco chicken that no-one seems to want to finish.

This thread caught my attention as I was wondering the same thing! After reading everyone's responces, I went right home and fed my girls a a turkey carcus that I had left over from Canadian Thanksgiving. We humans had picked as clean as we could but the chickens went nuts over the amount that we had left on there! My wife was a bit uneasy by the whole idea... "isn't that just...wrong?" The evolved raptor argument settled her down a bit. No one mentioned though that if you do this, don't let your dogs see you sneak any meat into the run, mine went crazy trying to figure out how to get in there for what they thought should have been THEIR treat!

what i do is when i slaughter a chicken/rabbit/pigeon,
i take th guts, clean them all out in case of tapeworms,
and they go nuts over it, i supose they think they are worms
and in the winter especially, i buy a couple of cans of dog food,
and give it to them once a month, they love that.
hope that helps.

luke.

Mine just had a big feeding of Chili last week..

A friend of mine died and we were cleaning out her deep freeze. We spilt the old meat, stews, mystery food etc. between her daughter and I, for our chickens. Hate to see all that food go to the dump, chickens loved it.

Years ago my Mom kept seeing all her girls (she calls her hens, girls) run to the far side of the field every morning when she let them out. She said it looked like they were eating something as they spent a lot of time there. Then the Turkey Vultures started to fly overhead.
She asked me to go down and look. Sure enough there was a dead Deer. Her girls had been munching on the dead Deer.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom