Feeding scraps/Seeking answer to settle a friendly bet

anythingbutsandy

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 7, 2010
Kyle, Texas
My husband and I have a friendly bet going on and I know my BYC friends can help.

I've been a member here since my "ladies/red stars" arrived in May and I've read up on everything I can since I'm still an "out of the brooder". I say it's okay to feed chickens leftover meat/chicken scraps, etc. My hubby says it's a definite no-no.

Any answers?

My mom cooked up some old chicken breats and threw them out to the girls - they scarfed 'em up. I won't feed them raw, but a chicken eating chicken is nothing out of the ordinary as they are omnivores. I'm sure red jungle fowl in their native land would eat a fallen flock mate without a problem.

Mine love meat= any kind of meat! Leftover chicken, ribs, pork chops, meatballs, whatever. If there is meat in the treat bowl, it's the first thing they go for. They will even eat the small bones of chicken carcasses. It's all a good source of protein.

Leftovers that are a day or two old almost always go to the chickens, and frequently include some sort of meat. They pick out the meat first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine especially love rib bones with whatever meat is left on them, then the bones disappear too. We always give ours any meat scraps we have left whenever we have meat. My DW is especially picky about not eating fat. If I trim before cooking they get them raw too.

ETA: Hope you collected on your bet.
lol.png

Last edited:
I give my chickens all my leftovers. They just got the homemade beef/vegetable soup that we had eaten for two meals. There was still quite a bit of beef and they went crazy over it. My parrots and my chickens all love cooked chicken - seems strange I know, but the protein is good for them all!!!! Tell your hubby he loses this round!!

Back
Top Bottom