Feeding scraps/Seeking answer to settle a friendly bet

I thought heat destroyed the poison so frying should make the green tomatoes safe.

The solanine toxin is heat-stable but will break down in high heat (170 deg +).
Deep frying is best, microwaves do nothing and boiling only lets the toxin leach into the water.

Random Note:

My mom has gotten into the habit of bringing home leftover corn chips after eating at the Mexican restaurant. The chickens come running when she shakes the to-go box! They love them! Keeps the chips from being wasted in a landfill... I do wonder about the extra salt, though.

As to the original question about eating meat (even chicken meat), I think they'll eat just about any leftovers you want to give them. After all, they are cannibalistic when it comes to eating each other's feathers when they are low on calcium (or pecking at a dead member of the flock if you don't discover it in time!).

I have found out they don't care for the ends of asparagus...

My husband and I have a friendly bet going on and I know my BYC friends can help.

I've been a member here since my "ladies/red stars" arrived in May and I've read up on everything I can since I'm still an "out of the brooder". I say it's okay to feed chickens leftover meat/chicken scraps, etc. My hubby says it's a definite no-no.

Any answers?

Scraps are fine, even chicken nuggets and chicken fingers. However the scraps are not as well balanced as a good layer ration is. Use your good sense and remember, that there is a place for everything and that is more so when everything is kept in its proper place. Don't use large amounts of treats to SUPPLEMENT a balanced ration, but rather use small amounts of scraps to intelligently REPLACE small amounts of their commercial ration. Fat hens lay fewer eggs as well as have more health problems.

My chicks are 8 weeks. Can I start feeding them treats/scraps now or should I wait until they are of laying age?

As long as you provide appropriate grit materiel to aid in proper digestion there is no reason not to give them some scraps at this age. Just be sure to feed scraps in moderation so as not to imbalance their overall diet in a way that can be detrimental to their growth and development.

As long as you provide appropriate grit materiel to aid in proper digestion there is no reason not to give them some scraps at this age.  Just be sure to feed scraps in moderation so as not to imbalance their overall diet in a way that can be detrimental to their growth and development.

Thanks so much!!!

Random Note:

My mom has gotten into the habit of bringing home leftover corn chips after eating at the Mexican restaurant. The chickens come running when she shakes the to-go box! They love them! Keeps the chips from being wasted in a landfill... I do wonder about the extra salt, though.

As to the original question about eating meat (even chicken meat), I think they'll eat just about any leftovers you want to give them. After all, they are cannibalistic when it comes to eating each other's feathers when they are low on calcium (or pecking at a dead member of the flock if you don't discover it in time!).

I have found out they don't care for the ends of asparagus...
For clarity's sake - feather eating is not related to calcium deficiency, it *can* though be a sign of a protein deficiency. Feathers are comprised heavily of protein (this is why feeding increased protein during molt can be helpful to the birds in supporting refeathering and why "feather fixer" feeds are high in protein).

Back
Top Bottom