Feeding scraps/Seeking answer to settle a friendly bet

Quote:
While I will agree with your premise that any moldy food is not a good idea and leaving food around--be it leftovers or grain, spices or cat food--where it attracts vermin is also to be avoided, I question some of your other ideas--green beans--no harm, tomatoes are nightshade family and can cause no harm either. I can't think of anything a human can safely eat that is toxic to chickens--including cooked potatoes. My chickens even love to eat fly larva and, if they can catch them, flies. In fact, given the problems of the last year or so in re to pet food, feeding cat food may not be a good idea. I'd also like you to reference me where is says human food, in particular, can cause prolapse. If anything too much grain, especially corn, can cause obesity.

Agreed. Last year I threw the whole tomato vine, fruit and all. They didn't touch the plant but had fun digging through it to find the tomatoes.

I would say you won that bet. Mine get everything we don't eat. I have noticed they don't like raw potato peels but if I have a bunch I will take the time to boil them up then treat them.

People peel potatoes still. When I was growing up everyone peeled them but since going out on my own have never peeled a potatoe. Coming from an above average healthy city by Texas standards (Austin is very health conscious, small town I grew up in on the Texas coast have never heard the word health food or greener healthier living) I quickly learned the peelings have tons of crap we use so I stopped peeling and never looked back. Actually dig peelings now and don't much care for mashed tatters that doesn't have skins.

Quote:
Thanks for sharing the info from ur granny. Always worry about commercial feed. I know what I prepare is safe. Just don't give them chocolate.

Ditto for Woodmort ..he always gives good advice.

Quote:
Agreed. Last year I threw the whole tomato vine, fruit and all. They didn't touch the plant but had fun digging through it to find the tomatoes.

I would say you won that bet. Mine get everything we don't eat. I have noticed they don't like raw potato peels but if I have a bunch I will take the time to boil them up then treat them.

People peel potatoes still. When I was growing up everyone peeled them but since going out on my own have never peeled a potatoe. Coming from an above average healthy city by Texas standards (Austin is very health conscious, small town I grew up in on the Texas coast have never heard the word health food or greener healthier living) I quickly learned the peelings have tons of crap we use so I stopped peeling and never looked back. Actually dig peelings now and don't much care for mashed tatters that doesn't have skins.

I agree mashed taters with the skins are the best! I peel if they are store bought but if they are my home grown ones I don't. The store bought ones just taste dirty to us
sickbyc.gif

Quote:

I agree mashed taters with the skins are the best! I peel if they are store bought but if they are my home grown ones I don't. The store bought ones just taste dirty to us
sickbyc.gif

I wash my store bought potatoes with soap,water and a scrubby...then I can enjoy my skin. That's where the vitamins are.

Quote:
That's pretty much what happens here, too! Some days, hubby (who does most of the cooking) will ask "Can the chickens have this?" The answer is almost always "Yes!" The only thing we don't feed a lot of is onion and garlic, which I have heard can cause the eggs to taste off. In fact, we were at our youngest daughters for dinner this week and she had shrimp. We brought home a bag of shrimp shells for the chickens! They loved them! Not a scrap left. I use the treat chart on this site as my basis for what to feed and what not to.

As for treats attracting vermin, by the end of the day, there is usually not enough left to attract a single fly, let alone mice or worse. If there is, I rake it up and toss it in the compost. Or just toss it, if it is bones.

We keep a plastic "chicken bucket" in the kitchen. We put a scoop of scratch in it and it gets all the kitchen trimmings and toss outs, including everything organic like coffee grounds. Any cooking liquids/grease goes into the "chicken bucket" and soaks into the scratch. In the morning when we let them out we empty the bucket and add another scoop of scratch to start over. If the bucket has sticking food scraps in it, we leave it for the chickens to peck it clean and then reuse it or keep an alternate bucket. Potato peelings, bones, meat scraps, you name it, it goes into the bucket---------been doing that for years.

Quote:
The family joke around here, every time we see one of those labels "vegetarian fed" on a egg carton, is that it must mean that they hire vegetarians to feed the chickens, cuz I know darn well chickens aren't vegetarian! Can you imagine having to live in a cage and being fed nothing but a diet that is so far removed from what you should be eating?
sad.png

My late mother-in-law and her mother-in-law raised healthy chickens on nothing but table scraps and some chops (cracked corn). My girls get layer feed, but also every single leftoever out of the refrigerator and what they catch themselves.

Quote:
Coffee grounds? That's about all that gets into the compost pile that isn't spoiled. I guess I never thought of giving the chickens the grounds, they are hyper enough, didn't want them to get a coffee buzz. Besides, my soil needs the acid boost.

Only the adult chickens get left overs, The juvies get occational egg or yogurt. Since I have only 6 adults they are getting pickly, lots of beak wiping and leaving the treat alone for maybe 20 minutes. (where's the yogurt and eggs:rant

Thanks, one and all, for helping me win my bet. I knew from my reading of the forums (especially the treat chart) that chickens love scraps of all kinds. (My girls are particularly fond of cantelopes and cucumbers) My biggest concern was feeding them treats/scraps too often, but it appears that I can cross that off of my list.

Back
Top Bottom