can you feed chickens small amounts of meat?

cluckin tractor

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 6, 2010
australia, nsw, riverena
can you do it or is it not safe. is it good for protien or will it make them have a stomach upset. should i do it. if it goes ahead it will be a rare occasion because when i shoot a wild rabit, take it home and skin, gut and clean it i give the end product to the dogs and i have little scraps no more than a handful and give it to them. they like it and sorta fight over it

Yes you can give it to them, and in fact, it's very good for them..........lots of protein. Some people are concerned about giving raw meat, but I've always done it and have never had any problems. Besides, I've never seen a chicken cooking cooking before, so I guess they were designed to eat raw meat.
lol.png

My mini raptors love meat! They especially love it when I give them the carcasses of the chickens or turkeys that I have roasted. Ham bones as well. Nothing left to clean up except one or two bones. The protein is really good for their feathers and eggs. Just make sure you dont keel over in their run or thats all that will be found of you when the chickens are done!!!

The only thing I'd worry about with wild rabbits is tapeworms.

I give my barncat Droncit pills (at least once a year) for this reason as I know she kills & eats rabbits. She leaves uneaten bunny parts in the barn.

I feed my dogs the raw prey diet outside and the chickens are always trying to eat the scraps of raw chicken and duck.
sickbyc.gif
They love it!

You've probably read other threads where chickens devour snakes, mice, toads, other birds, etc. To them it's just like worms and bugs, only bigger. People choose to try to make chickens herbivores, but they're really omnivores and eat meat whenever and wherever they find it.

Mine love frostbitten venison (can't use it all up... I have deerhunting menfolk) that's thawed and tossed into their yard in small chunks. They love leftover liver, lunchmeat, fat cut off bacon, drippings from cooked bacon.... any meat that's a bit too old to feed the other 2-legged critters that live here.
Once my son left a suet cake from our wild birdfeeder on the ground, then came back for it, but it'd vanished. I'd watched 12 chickens have a happy afternoon around this marvelous, peanut buttery treat!

Yes. Just wait until you try it and see how they chase each other to get it!! It's quite entertaining!

Back
Top Bottom