Can you feed chickens steak?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by YardBirdCountry, Sep 29, 2013.

1. YardBirdCountry

YardBirdCountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    I had a steak in my freezer that was freezer burned. I took it out to thaw it by soaking it in water. The wrap was not so great so the water got into the steak and the juices leaked. It became less than appetizing.

I decided to save it for the chickens. I am planning on chopping it into little bits and mixing it with some oats and vegetable scrap.

Should that be okay?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They will go bonkers for it.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sure! I feed my chickens meat scraps and little bits of steak as treats all the time. O.K. they don't get steak all the time lol, but they do get a fair bit of meat and they love it.

4. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

They will love love love steak. When we get fresh deer parts with extra meat on them, it goes to the chickens. Meat is their most favorite thing.

5. YardBirdCountry

YardBirdCountry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Thanks guys.

I do not expect to cube up a whole steak for them again (unless something similar happens to ruin a steak), but I will start saving whatever meat scraps I have (with the exception of chicken scraps, I just won't do it).

I will photo document let you know how the "steak salad" is received. :)

6. chrissum

chrissum Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2007
    NWMO USA
    Raw or cooked? Does it matter?

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Hm, good question. I like to cook it pretty hard to make sure any pathogens are killed AND because the girls seem to like the texture of cooked meat a lot more. However, I'm sure there would be no harm in feeding them raw meat as long as they liked the texture.

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I've seen my chickens kill and eat mice, snakes, small birds etc, so they don't mind raw meat, but for safety reasons I only feed them cooked meat. Just watch with very salty or heavily seasoned meats.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Either is fine. chickens are omnivores and happily eat raw meat. You can cook it if it makes you feel better, but it's not necessary.

10. RPegram

RPegram New Egg

Feb 22, 2013
    I can't say the girls have had raw steak, but they have had plenty of raw meat. Deer, snake, fish, etc. I can only say when they see me cleaning fish in the back yard, all their attention is focused on me because they know what treat follows shortly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by