Can you feed chickens steak?

YardBirdCountry

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I had a steak in my freezer that was freezer burned. I took it out to thaw it by soaking it in water. The wrap was not so great so the water got into the steak and the juices leaked. It became less than appetizing.

I decided to save it for the chickens. I am planning on chopping it into little bits and mixing it with some oats and vegetable scrap.

Should that be okay?

Sure! I feed my chickens meat scraps and little bits of steak as treats all the time. O.K. they don't get steak all the time lol, but they do get a fair bit of meat and they love it.

Thanks guys.

I do not expect to cube up a whole steak for them again (unless something similar happens to ruin a steak), but I will start saving whatever meat scraps I have (with the exception of chicken scraps, I just won't do it).

I will photo document let you know how the "steak salad" is received. :)

I've seen my chickens kill and eat mice, snakes, small birds etc, so they don't mind raw meat, but for safety reasons I only feed them cooked meat. Just watch with very salty or heavily seasoned meats.

Either is fine. chickens are omnivores and happily eat raw meat. You can cook it if it makes you feel better, but it's not necessary.

I can't say the girls have had raw steak, but they have had plenty of raw meat. Deer, snake, fish, etc. I can only say when they see me cleaning fish in the back yard, all their attention is focused on me because they know what treat follows shortly!

Back
Top Bottom