Can you feed chickens steak?

I can't say the girls have had raw steak, but they have had plenty of raw meat. Deer, snake, fish, etc. I can only say when they see me cleaning fish in the back yard, all their attention is focused on me because they know what treat follows shortly!

we do the same thing. I've never had eggs taste like fish, either.

Should see the look on my dog's face when I carry meat scraps past him to give the to the chickens. ....

Oh mine too! I actually had a German Shepherd break into a pen through chicken wire--not to get the birds, but to get the hamburger I threw in there! We cam home and she was laying in the coop, happily eating the burger, with the birds on the roosts just watching her, not making a sound!

Raw or cooked, mine get meat as well. I laugh at how I can throw a whole pile of chopped up meat in there and they will fight over ONE piece! Kinda reminds of what I hear about Black Friday shopping.

Well looks like I'm putting my books in the bin after reading all this everyone I now says not to give them meat and the books I got befor getting are birds say NO MEAT . But me and my hubby thought well they eat bugs we have only had are girls for 5days and wehave never had birds befor so we done lots of research and that first . The coupe and run we orderd just looked way to small so we slowly built them a big inclosed run as we have a dog and cat and theres a lot of foxes about here and don't thingk next door would be happy with us with the girls jumping in there gardens as thay wernt over the moon when thay relisized that we were getting chickens .can anyone tell me the best times to feed them and so on and also I have some butternut from my allotment can thay have them and do I need to cook it first same with beets .

The things you learn on backyard chickens... one question though. Does feeding chickens meat encourage cannibalism and/or egg eating?
Generally no but it is always encouraged to cook any eggs before feeding to your chickens to prevent them from egg-eating your eggs. (clear as mud, right?)

Well looks like I'm putting my books in the bin after reading all this everyone I now says not to give them meat and the books I got befor getting are birds say NO MEAT . But me and my hubby thought well they eat bugs we have only had are girls for 5days and wehave never had birds befor so we done lots of research and that first . The coupe and run we orderd just looked way to small so we slowly built them a big inclosed run as we have a dog and cat and theres a lot of foxes about here and don't thingk next door would be happy with us with the girls jumping in there gardens as thay wernt over the moon when thay relisized that we were getting chickens .can anyone tell me the best times to feed them and so on and also I have some butternut from my allotment can thay have them and do I need to cook it first same with beets .
Most times free choice is the best way to feed. I give my flock treats in the afternoon because that's when I'm home, but it doesn't matter. Best rule of thumb is give it to them early enough so that the treats are eaten before they go to the roost.

Last edited:
No, meat does not encourage cannibalism. Even giving them chicken! Meat is a natural part of a chicken's diet. Overcrowding is the usual cause of pecking and cannibalism.

Last edited:
The only one my birds look to hurt if they don't get their scraps is me! They leave each other alone. They have all the feed they could want at all times. But when they see me bring out scraps they go bonkers. Mine love any kind of squash. They are ravaging a couple cans of veg soup that I don't know how I ended up with right now.

Back
Top Bottom