Can you feed chickens uncooked rice?

Wheat, corn, milo, oats, millet, and rice are all grains. Chickens can eat any grain raw and unprocessed without difficulty provided they have access to grit. I've fed raw rice to my birds many times.

If the brown rice is really rancid I'd compost it rather than feeding it out. If it's only a little off then I wouldn't hesitate to feed it.

That whole "it will swell up & kill them" thing is an internet myth. Think about it. We feed other grains, corn, wheat, oats, rye to chickens regularly. Those grains, like rice, swell up when cooked. Why then would they not kill birds if rice does? Doesn't make sence does it.
A previous poster said rice is used to kill pigeons yet another poster points out that rice is included in some pigeon feeds. Why would people buy those feeds if the rice in them was killing their pigeons? The obvious answer is they wouldn't & it doesn't.
The beauty of the internet is that information on a multitude of topics is always at hand. The downside of the internet is that there's no mechanism to ensure that all that information is valid. Unfortunately too many people seem to believe that if someone wrote something & posted it somewhere on the internet it must be true.

Naw, I heard about that one long before the internet. But I had a suspicion it might be another Old Wives... but didn't want to risk it being the one time that my cynical nature bit me in the bum.

I guess, just like corn, it's one of those be careful you don't overdo it but sure why not kind of things.

Thanks for all the input. I don't think there is anything wrong with the rice, it has just been in the back of the cupboard for longer than I deem appropriate for us to eat. At most, it's stale if that is a possibility for rice. They love it cooked so I'll just boil some up and let them be happy. It's not that much work, and I like the idea of freezing it if I make too much. I think it's about a 1.5 lb. bag.
tongue2.gif

Quote:
I think you are right, way before the internet. I heard it started as an April Fools day joke back in the 50's in a Dear Abby or Ann Landers column.
I give my chickens uncooked rice maybe a few times a month.

Imp

FYI on the rice, if it has been dry and is not molded or sprouted I am quite certain it is fine for anyone. If you are uneasy feed it to the birds as it is not expensive to replace. It will be fine just as you have been told.

Quote:
I'm with you. They like it cooked, it's easy to do, so why take the chance. Too many differences of opinion. Do what you feel you should do, they are your girls. Good Luck.

While there may be difference of opinion there is no disputing the fact that Rice is a perfectly good grain for feeding to poulty. It is in FACT used in some formulations. There is nothing safe or sorry associated. It seems OP wants to cook it for the birds that is great has nothing to do with whether or not it is in FACT safe

Yeh, when did that whole thing start when everyone stopped throwing rice at wedding because it supposedly wasn't safe for birds. That was definitely before the internet. Maybe it's different for little, tiny birds? Who knows....

Edit: Just found where apparently it did originate with an Ann Landers column in the mid sixties and has been debunked. Well, there ya go...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom