Can you feed chickens uncooked rice?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Iflyonhorses, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Iflyonhorses

Iflyonhorses Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Sterling, MA
    My chickens love rice. I have a big bag of brown rice that has been in the cupboard too long. My husband says I should just throw it out to them like scratch, but I have always given them rice cooked. Should I cook it? It's a lot of rice.

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i dont think to much rice is good for them but i wouldnt give it to them uncooked i think it would take a while to digest.

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I would think that it would puff up in them and that would not be good...lets see what others say...

4. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Immediately brought to mind the whole 'don't throw rice at weddings it'll kill the birds' thing.

Donno if that's applicable or not, but no way would I try it without knowing. Might be really bad. Might only be bad in large quantities but a little is okay. Or might be totally okay. But I'm a chicken and would wait until I knew for sure.

5. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    It's how we kill pigeons here. I'm thinking of throwing some rice out in my garden for the rats of the sky to injest.... maybe they'll stay away from my chicken run!

1 person likes this.
  7. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I would just cook it up and give it to them as a treat (not the whole bag at a time unless you have a lot of chickens). You could even freeze the leftovers and pull them out as needed. Mine get leftover cooked rice all the time.

8. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

OHHHH just had an idear... cook it up and cram it into ice cubes... toss in a couple for a treat when you want!

This is an awesome topic.

1 person likes this.
  9. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    This is what I do in the winter time. I pull out what too old in the cubbard and cook up a mess and give to the chickens.
    Any leftovers from the fridge I add in and they love it. Have to let it cool first though.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Rice is an ingredient in some whole grain pigeon mixes. It can be fed to chickens without being cooked.

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by