Can you feed chickens uncooked rice?

Iflyonhorses

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 1, 2009
Aiken, SC
My chickens love rice. I have a big bag of brown rice that has been in the cupboard too long. My husband says I should just throw it out to them like scratch, but I have always given them rice cooked. Should I cook it? It's a lot of rice.

PineappleMama

Songster
10 Years
Nov 23, 2009
Deep In The Left Atrium Of TX
Immediately brought to mind the whole 'don't throw rice at weddings it'll kill the birds' thing.

Donno if that's applicable or not, but no way would I try it without knowing. Might be really bad. Might only be bad in large quantities but a little is okay. Or might be totally okay. But I'm a chicken and would wait until I knew for sure.

lleighmay

Songster
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Woodlawn, VA
I would just cook it up and give it to them as a treat (not the whole bag at a time unless you have a lot of chickens). You could even freeze the leftovers and pull them out as needed. Mine get leftover cooked rice all the time.

oberhaslikid

Songster
12 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Ohio
This is what I do in the winter time. I pull out what too old in the cubbard and cook up a mess and give to the chickens.
Any leftovers from the fridge I add in and they love it. Have to let it cool first though.

Top Bottom