Can you feed chickens uncooked rice?

It's a myth that uncooked rice kills birds. The wild turkeys I have around here appreciated the old rice I tossed out below my house for them. They cleaned it all up. No dead birds.

I am bringing this back up, because this has been a huge question on my mind. I think it is important for any newbie like myself to know the truth. Rice is okay, moderation maybe key, but its okay. Personally, I have a friend in Hong Kong... outskirts, who pretty much feeds her chickens rice, cooked and uncooked, all day everyday and they are perfectly fine and laying laying LAYING. Of course they are fed other things, not 100% rice.

LOL perhaps we should ask uncle Ben easy cook rice expert!! Uncooked rice also uncooked yellow lentils he loved it thrived on it would not touch (eat) bread,never killed my pet pigeon he lived for many years long, My 13 week old pekin bantams free range my urban garden as a treat I started giving Brown rice uncooked and cooked also today basmati rice then they go out wandering around pecking what ever they do in my garden and I've found that three times a day now they come into my house to find me for more basmati rice today they go crazy for it lol I'm sure they no when to stop!! My chickens are far from dumb they have spent there long 13 week's with me everyday involved with whatever I am doing from gardening to house work to building works to painting and decorating my chickens don't want to go to bed at night I have to physically put them into there coop my cockral is terrible moans and groans as he wants to stay in my house up all night if he could get the chance lol strange creatures but hilarious and are actually my companions bless them ;) I love them Priscilla and KING

If the hens have access to the dirt and soil in my yard during the day the mealworms dried treats started giving them need to have scratch? Or are they getting enough on their own?

I have fed my hens brown istant rice not cooked its very hollow n light already they love it for a treat now and again

Last edited:
If a chicken can eat whole grain corn, pearled barley, oats, grain sorghum, wheat, Sunflowers, and all the other grains, then chickens can also eat rice.

A chickens craw is used to in effect COOK rice and other grains before passing them off to the gizzard where the grain that has been softened by digestive juices is in the crop is "CHEWED" by the gizzard.

I stand corrected it is precooked dried brown rice but our girls love it as a treat also steel cut oats

My chickens love rice. I have a big bag of brown rice that has been in the cupboard too long. My husband says I should just throw it out to them like scratch, but I have always given them rice cooked. Should I cook it? It's a lot of rice.

All that stuff about killing birds is an urban myth! However, I would think it best to give sparingly to chickens...but I'm new to this site too. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/against-the-grain/

My chickens love rice. I have a big bag of brown rice that has been in the cupboard too long. My husband says I should just throw it out to them like scratch, but I have always given them rice cooked. Should I cook it? It's a lot of rice.
I know this is an old post, but rice is fine for chickens. Don’t believe the hype about not feeding uncooked rice. All of the grains we feed our chickens are uncooked, why would rice be any different?

Back
Top Bottom