Can you get salmonella from chicken poop????

TMNTCkins

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Valley Springs California
My Cousins were really sick last weekend. The went to the ER and they did some tests and found out they had salmanila. My Uncle thinks that they got it from the chicken poop (there little kids)?
Never even thought about this.
Any information would be great.
Thanks

Last edited:
It's salmonella, first of all.

Most likely source was food that was not handled safely. If the fridge is not below 40 degrees, if they eat leftovers over 3 days old, if cooked food is eaten after being left at room temp for over about 30 minutes, then these are the most likely sources. Thawing meat at room temp before cooking is another common source.

Some chickens do carry salmonella, but we are talking about one in 1000, last I read. Even if the kids handled the chickens, and the chickens were carriers, and they washed their hand afterwards, this is quite unlikely.

You'll have to do a Google search to resolve this, I imagine.

its highly unlikely its from the dropping. if salmonella was in it i would have it constantly since i go in the coop barefooted. and are you talking about them eating it?
sickbyc.gif

Thanks
I didn't think that it was very likely. We has lot's of chickens and my kids play with them and have never had a problem.
I did google it and didn't come up with much except that is was very unlikely.

Salmonella is commonly found in feces as well as butchered meats & fish. If the kids were playing in feces and then ate without washing their hands, it is possible. Salmonella must be ingested or otherwise enter the bloodstream (like from a cut) to make you sick. It drives me nuts watching people handle raw meats and then jump to making salads, handling cooked meats, etc. without washing their hands in between. I also see people taking raw meat out to the grill on a plate and then placing the cooked meat back onto the same already contaminated plate. Reptiles are common carriers as well. Bottom line is, salmonella is everywhere and can be dangerous, especially to children. Proper cooking and handwashing habits will keep people from getting sick. Here's a link with more info from the mayo clinic.

http://mayoclinic.com/health/salmonella/DS00926

Quote:
Absolutely. This is more specific, but points out things I was referring to, when I spoke of food being handled safely. I was an inspector of commercial food handling operations for several years; I tend to forget that not everyone understands these parameters.

I can't imagine placing cooked meat on the same plate that had the raw meat on it. Yuk. Afraid I would not only refuse to eat it, but speak up, and be a pain in the butt about it.

Handwashing after touching raw meat should be automatic, as should cleaning the sink if it touched that sink. If the meal includes raw meat, the preparation is when the kitchen gets cleaned, around here.

Reptiles are not pets here, but if they were, I would research, and learn the precautions needed.

I agree that chickens don't just "have" salmonella. I had to have each of my hens tested for it to move to a new state and all were neg.
On the subject of raw meat, I can't stand to touch it and always wear rubber gloves when prepping. And I put down foil when cutting etc. because I just never feel like I've gotten the cutting surface sanitized well enough afterwards....that's just me.

Quote:
This is a very common thing that I have seen at cookouts... I typically watch for the plate and if half way through cooking it looks like it's going to happen, I walk over and grab the plate and say something like 'hey, looks like you're about done, let me go wash this off for you'.

Food safety is all to often not understood... I didn't realize how much so until I had taken my first Serve Safe course several years ago. I to was guilty of mishandling foods.

I've been dealing with a salmonella infection for the past week or so (confirmed). My doctor has chickens himself, and seems to think it's perfectly feasible for me to have contracted it after cleaning the chicken coop. I didn't eat out anywhere, am obsessive about proper food handling (hot water & bleach on cutting boards, etc.) & lots of hand washing, but who knows, maybe something got through on food...??? The symptoms began that night...

no matter where I picked it up, it's full hazmat gear for me from now on when cleaning up after my babies; my doc highly recommends disposable gloves. Just make sure and WASH, wash, wash your hands...a good dose of hand sanitizer to follow won't hurt either.

This is just my experience; I'm sure there are many theories on the matter. I just want everyone to take precautions and stay healthy!! And I still love my chickies
love.gif

Salmonella info from the Mayo Clinic:
http://mayoclinic.com/health/salmonella/DS00926

And eew, eew, eew on putting cooked meat on the raw meat plate!!!!! I go through so many dishes when I'm cooking because I can't stand for anything to co-mingle...it's worth every dish I have to wash later
smile.png

I completely agree with the previous posts, but it also really angers me when people freak out about handleing reptiles or, chickens for that matter because the sterotype that only these certain animals carry the diesase which any animal can carry it. The only animals that I think never have it would be large land animals such as deer, cattle, ect. but even they lay on the ground at times which is the common way it is transfered.( as well as animal to animal) For example, I was talking about the benifits of chickens and I mentioned their feces can be used as fertilizer, then my uncle buts in as if hes scoulding me and says you can not use it for growing vegitables. I just blew it off.

And as far as "pets", if it is Captive Bred and kept in an clean enviorment it mostlikley will not carry the diesase unless it comes into contact with something that dose.

Back
Top Bottom