can you guess the gender of my Muscovy???

Quote:
Ugh, its so hard to tell from pictures. The size difference that I'm seeing may just be the angle, it just looks HUGE, even compared to the calls. I blew up one of the close ups, if your fencing has 2x4" openings, it looks like the duck is less than 8" tall at the back. If that is the case, I'd say female at this age. I'm trying to find some perspective to measure by. Ugh, pics are hard. :)

Ugh, its so hard to tell from pictures. The size difference that I'm seeing may just be the angle, it just looks HUGE, even compared to the calls. I blew up one of the close ups, if your fencing has 2x4" openings, it looks like the duck is less than 8" tall at the back. If that is the case, I'd say female at this age. I'm trying to find some perspective to measure by. Ugh, pics are hard. :)
It is, i swear when i first saw the pics i thought duck but perspective is a tricky one to gain with pictures only. My drakes were all big, yes, some were bigger than others but by 3-4mths? HA BIG a total armful and i mean by just about anyone.

I'm sure people are beyond bored of my pics, but this was one of the babies, 3-4mth ranging...

To give an idea.. my lone duckling in the back with another of the drake babies in front, these babies are all from the same clutch... the boys sizing was beyond obvious at this point...

Last edited:
Yes the fence is 2x4 openings, I went out and she is 7 inches at her back, weighs almost exactly 5lbs, she doesn't have any red ( i forget what its called) flesh around her eyes and what it does have around the bill is still pink and not any taller than the bill. My mallard drake is maybe an inch shorter than her in both length and height.

My best guess is a girl... call ducks and mallards are naturally smaller and all ducks differ in size so size can't always tell...
Also, when my male Muscovy was 1 month old he had a big lump of red comp on his nose and the rest had started developing, when his sister was the same age she had the same amount of comb as your duck.
Beautiful duck by the way...

Yes the fence is 2x4 openings, I went out and she is 7 inches at her back, weighs almost exactly 5lbs, she doesn't have any red ( i forget what its called) flesh around her eyes and what it does have around the bill is still pink and not any taller than the bill. My mallard drake is maybe an inch shorter than her in both length and height.
Well then, girl. The caruncles (red stuff ) will start coming in soon.

Also, with females (at least for me) they look more feminine. In Going Quakers 2nd pic, you can see that the female in the back is more "girly" looking. Head is a little smaller and more round (not sure how to describe it).

Regardless, SHE is a very pretty duck. Nice coloring.

Well then, girl. The caruncles (red stuff ) will start coming in soon.

Also, with females (at least for me) they look more feminine. In Going Quakers 2nd pic, you can see that the female in the back is more "girly" looking. Head is a little smaller and more round (not sure how to describe it).

Regardless, SHE is a very pretty duck. Nice coloring.
I have noticed that myself and commented on it a few times, i'm sure it sounds crazy! but it's there... some exhibit it more than others mind you. OP i forgot to ask about vocals, now before anybody jumps up & down i am not saying that is a true reliable way, but it can be of help as they become several months old the drakes only get that huffing/hissing whereas ducks have quite a range of vocals, cooing, trilling, hissing and quacking.

do you have pics of the beside one another? pics of their feet beside one another? a drake will be significatly larger than a hen at this age. i have 2 drakes that are 3.5 months old and they are already larger than my hens that are older than them and they are around 5-6 months. (ages are just guesses)

this one shows how big the drakes foot is compaired to a hens (drake in back) also this is one of the older hens and a young drake
533571_874770042281_2058385158_n.jpg

the 3 on the left are hens and the 2 whites with the black and white in the middle are drakes
486110_874770925511_1788707315_n.jpg

Last edited:
I raised Muscovy's for a while and with in the first week of hatch you can tell the difference in the males and females. The males will be bigger in body bigger feet. As they mature the males will have more red cronckles around their face area and will get them before a female. The females will always be smaller them the males the males never have a tail that curls.

Back
Top Bottom