Can you have humidity too HIGH during hatching?

fyrwmn

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
CT
I have 30 guinea eggs in the bater... due any day now ( its day 25... due between days 25-28 or so)

I have two digital thermometers in there.. I just checked on them: one reading 90% humidity the other reading 63%. I just noticed some slight condensation on the window. (temp reading approx. the same)

I am trying to make sure the humidity is up and stays up as I had a poor first hatch, which I attribute to humidity problems. I was not that knowledgeable at the time and after the first 3 hatched, and dried off, I opened it up and removed them.. then did the same with the next two... by the end of the week there were still 7 eggs that had not hatched. I gave them a few more days then opened them. They were fully formed, but dead. So I think I had low humidity ( I was also using a different incubator which was really diff to get he humidity up)

so can humidity be too high during these last 2-3 days?

Also I am so frustrated with the theremomters.. I have 3 in there.. all reading diff numbers, but thats for another thread

thanks

Last edited:
I bet the actual humidity is closer to 90% than 63% with condensation on the windows. After this hatch, you need to calibrate your hygrometers to see which is most correct and to be able to adjust your readings by the amt they're off. You do it with a pile of wet salt in a cup plus the hygro in a ziplock bag. After 8-12 hours, the reading should be 75%.

I have never heard about the salt and baggie trick... I am facinated!!! Can't wait to try it

( great gave me something else to be inpatient about .. like waiting for something to happen with these eggs wasn't enough!!)

Back
Top Bottom