Can you have too much shade in a hot climate?

chfriedmam

Songster
8 Years
Dec 20, 2015
North Hollywood, CA
I'm in SoCal. Is this too much shade in the run? It's completely covered but gets sun from the sides. I do occasionally let them out, but let's assume they live in the run. I mean, are they getting their requisite hours of sunlight for egg production? Am I interpreting sunlight too strictly? Like, do they need sun shining on them??? ty

I changed it up bc the chunnel was impossible to clean. For those who always ask, 17 chickens right now. Also, I want to take responsibility for the crappy roofing job before the purists here point it out. There is a slight pitch, and I may even drill some holes so rain can get through. (Rain isn't a big deal here.). 10 ft panels were just so much more than 8 foot ones...
coop evolution (1).jpg

In a hot climate it's nearly impossible to have too much shade or too much ventilation.

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

If there is a little bit of direct sun coming from the sides they'll be able to sunbathe if they want to. They don't need sunshine specifically to lay as much as they need hours of daylight. It's possible to get that without direct sun. :)

We have a really shady yard (old oaks), it's good for the birds in a hot climate. You don't have to worry about light level to prompt egg laying, since they only need a very low lumen level, a full moon amount. The limiting factor is vitamin D. They need D for calcium to work properly. If you get weak shells you can supplement D, or open up a certain area specifically for sunbathing.

In a hot climate it's nearly impossible to have too much shade or too much ventilation.

Hot Climate Chicken Housing and Care

If there is a little bit of direct sun coming from the sides they'll be able to sunbathe if they want to. They don't need sunshine specifically to lay as much as they need hours of daylight. It's possible to get that without direct sun. :)
IMG_20230429_152622550_HDR~2.jpg

My chicks soaking up a few rays...once it gets hot and humid here they will appreciate the shady spot they're got. :cool:

Ya it was also ugly. I changed it. Altho there is 3ft space on back before wall View attachment 3490365
Looks like chicken TV to me 😁💕 I actually really like this ☝
I am also in a warm climate with high humidity toboot. Were the sun can be brutal the lack of ventilation is a killer too. I use lats in my coops and bet you can artfully find your shade/ventilation ratio in style. Looks terrific already 👍 Bravo and have fun!
20211021_174759.jpg

20230502_091901.jpg
20210922_152528.jpg

Back
Top Bottom