Can you identify this scat?

Delphinium

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Northern AZ
53248_p1030953.jpg

Last week I found this scat just outside the coop when I went out in the morning to let my chooks out. Can anyone identify it.... cat? raccoon? skunk?

racoon...cats always make some effort to bury or cover their poop
Watch you chickens, I just lost my favorite BA hen to a stupid racoon. Thought we were predator proof but apparently not.

Delph,

It is probably NOT a raccoon. Since you live in Arizona, you might also consider a ringtail (Bassariscus astutus), as well as skunk (striped, hognosed, and spotted), and opossum. it's full of seeds, and very small, so I wouldn't automatically worry about your chickens. Make sure there aren't any little holes in your setup, though.

Coon--I just trapped one and he left a mess of scat in the trap, had all kinds of seeds in it.

Thanks for all the replies! I don't think it could be a fox... we have a fenced yard, but I guess anything is possible. I was leaning toward skunk or racoon. We live in a neighborhood that backs up to the forest, and we have smelled skunks in our yard before. I just found the scat, no digging attempts this time, but I wanted to know what I might be dealing with. THANKS!!

Back
Top Bottom