Can you identify which breeds I have?

bonder

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 2, 2010
I recently acquired about 50 baby chicks from a friend who works at a hatchery. They were going to be "disposed" of, so my friend stuck them in a box for me and brought them home. I don't know what kinds he grabbed so I need help identifying them. I can pick out the Turkens as well as the Bantams (maybe there's different breeds of Bantams?) These pics are from when they were about 1 week? They've got feathers now so maybe that would help?
Thanks!!
HMMM, Now if I could only figure out how to attach pics...
62075_009.jpg

62075_007.jpg

62075_005.jpg

I think I've got a couple Naked Necks (I call them Turkens), a brownish 1, who is already kind of a bully and steals bugs from the other chicks and a yellowish colored one (in the bottom pic). My daughter thinks they look disgusting, I think they are kind of cool.

HAHA! Oh Lord, I had not thought that they might all be roosters. Now I'm really worried!!! I guess I'll cross that bridge when we get there....

If they were all about to be disposed of then they were probably all sexed as roosters...

BUT

Sexing is only 90% accurate, so some might still be girls. Lord knows how often we have all bought pullets with 90% sexing accuracy and ended up with a bunch of boys.... Im starting to wonder if they do that on purpose.....

ANYWAY, IDK, but I wish you luck and hope at least some of them are girls!

I also think I have a black silkie (in the middle picture), but not sure. I'm really new at this (obviously if I'm dumb enough to take a bunch of roosters) but which birds are "the meaties?" I can pick out the RiR by her color (she's the red one?) and the black australorps (I assume they are the all black ones). By the way, thanks for your help so far... guess this is a good learning lesson for me. Free= probably roosters.

Silkies are easy to identify they have 5 toes other than that I'm useless...
the one on the far left looks more like a cochin or brahma of some color...
lol.png
I told ya I'm no help!

Last edited:
the meaties are typically your off colored yellows the brighter yellows can be BO's the black grey and yellow underbellys are the same as my BA's your meat birds will be bigger then the rest and grow at a more rapid pace. the all black with a hint of grey/white look identical to my BR's that is what i based my judging off of its by no means accurate at all..

Back
Top Bottom