Can you identify which breeds I have?

Okay, I looked up brahma and cochin- a possibility for sure. I want to go out to the garage and start counting toes but they are all sleeping. I'd hate to wake the babies up. I will try to get pics up with their beginning wings posted, maybe that will make it easier. Oh, I've tried taking a few outside at a time on really warm days to see if they would enjoy scratching for bugs, eating grass clippings, etc but all they do is peep to get back in the brooder. Am I doing something wrong?

The brown chipmunk-looking chicks look like my brown leghorns. I'm no expert so take what I say with a grain of salt. If they do turn out to be pullets, they'll lay white eggs.

Bantams normally aren't sexed, so you have a good chance for some hens. The yellowish chicks may also be buff orpingtons, hard to tell when they are so little!

The brown chipmunks could also be Welsummers.

Sorry, but I would imagine they were going to be disposed of because they were sexed as boys. You might get a few girls. Or you might have some great dinner one day. On the other hand, if you have a bunch of boys free ranging, you'll have good bug control.

I talked to my friend who gave me the chicks. He assured me "some" were from a straight run, the rest probably roos. I guess we'll be having Thanksgiving chicken this year instead of turkey? I'm posting more recent pictures. Many many thanks for all of your help in identifying the breeds of ROOSTERS that I have. How soon can I tell the sex of the birds? I've noticed little combs on their little heads, so I'm hoping soon.

62075_068.jpg

Meat bird? He's HUGE, whatever he is!

62075_087.jpg

A bantam next to ??? He's silver or gray looking with maybe some yellow.

62075_063.jpg

A Feather footed Bantam

62075_095.jpg

Is this what you meant by the chipmunk looking ones? A Leghorn?

62075_065.jpg

A little of everybody. These aren't chickens, they are PIGS!!

Again, many thanks to everyone who has helped me identify who's who in my brooder box. No matter what the sex, they are sure cute little guys...

The chipmunk looking ones I believe are EE / Americanas (I get them confused). They do have green legs.
smile.png
Also you may want to ask about having this thread moved to the breed/gender ID section, I am sure you will get tons of responses there!

Last edited:
I guess I didn't realize there was a topic for identifying breeds. I appreciate the advice. I'll try to figure out how to get it moved. So happy I've found such a helpful group of chicken pros to guide me through this adventure...

Back
Top Bottom