1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can you make money on quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Johndale, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    can you make money on quail? if so what do you have to do? and how much money do you make? and how many do you have to have?
    thanks jd

2. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Well, I saw someone selling button quail on craigslist for 10 a pop. i bought my layers from them.... she sold all she had chick-wise... So I would say yes.. Idk how many you would have to have. I am experimenting with that myself..

3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    It depends. Some months will be better than others. It's a matter of who wants quail at that time.

4. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
  5. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I think it would also depend on your area and the year. This year everyone wants coturnix. Last year it was bobs for me. I would stop at the local feedstore and ask them what they get asked the most for. Coturnix and Bobs or nothing and see what the demand is for.

6. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Sadly I'll Just Say Quail Sales Will Never Get You Into The Rockafeller Club [​IMG] In Most Cases Best You Can Hope For Is That They Are Self Supporting Money-wise

7. NO! It's that simple.
    UNLESS you have 5 thousand sales a month at a PROFIT of at least @2.00 per sale.

GOOD LUCK!

8. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    [​IMG]

Oh wait, this isn't a joke? [​IMG]

9. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    I'm still seeking the solution to losing $$$$ when I do sell .... My make-believe profit comes in the form of lots and lots of savory quail breasts and legs smothered in brown gravy [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It depends on what you consider 'making money'. I was figuring it up the other day for my birds. To feed my button quail, a 50# bag would probably last them at least 6 months. 50# costs about $13. I sell eggs from them and sometimes I sell adult birds or chicks. I usually get $6 a dozen on their eggs and I get 2 dozen in 3 days. So I make enough on selling their eggs in 3 days to buy feed for them for 6 months. Everything after that is profit.

The coturnix are not quite as profitable, but the first year I had them, their egg and chick sales bought feed for all my birds during the summer.

You won't get rich, but you can make money.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by