Can you mix banties with larger hens?

JenO

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
Newberg, OR
I've got two black sex link, and two Easter eggers. Thinking about adding a showgirl I saw on craigslist for $3... (just a chick, so only 50/50 shot I'd get to keep it since I can't have a roo in town...)

I have banties & standards they free roam and I have no issues..ect a bully of a roo!
hmm.png

I have one silkie in with 8 standards, and she bosses the 4 younger birds around - even though she's now significantly smaller than they are. Never had a problem. I don't think she realizes she's as small as she is.

It took my girls quite awhile to let our banty (who was a freebee from a local event this spring) into the club, but now that she's in, they don't mess with her. Sometimes she gets stepped on in the stampede for breakfast, but that's about it!

I have one old english game bantam that is so small she looks like a dove. She hangs out with my big buff orpingtons and silver laced wyandottes who are both really big.

I have 3 bantams in with 12 standards and the standards give all of the bantams a very wide berth. Little does not mean pansy. Quite the opposite in fact.
somad.gif
tongue.gif

We have one banti roo with 12 standard size hens, 5 other standard roosters, 3 geese, 4 turkeys, & 10 ducks. No problems here & they free range 24/7!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom