can you mix standards and bantams?

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
I know, it's probably a silly question....but I'm worried the standards might bully the bantams. I have 3 standard EE chicks and I'm being given 5 bantams (all she said is they might lay green eggs...so I assume the are EE mixes). I just don't want to start a mess....so, anyone ever had this issue?

It should be fine, you may find your new bantams pestering your standards more than the other way around. What bantams lack in size they often make up in raw attitude! Just make sure to quarantine your new birds before mixing them together.

I have 2 bantam Buff Brahmas living with my 10 standards (2 EE, 2 reds, 2 JG, 2 BR, and 2 Aust). They were two bantams in a flock of 8. I introduced them into my flock of 4 standards, along with the other 6 standards they came with. My original 4 standards pick on them, but no more so than they pick on the JG's, Austra's, and BRs . They are really quick and have no problem getting away. Sometimes I try to help them out during feeding, trying to make sure they get enough food. But I do not worry about them at all.

I added two standards to my bantam flock of 4, and the standards let the bantams boss them around! Depends on who was there first, how old they are, and how they're introduced.

Some pecking/drama is to be expected, just watch for blatant aggression or injury. Always give atleast 2 weeks of them seeing each other but not having direct access. You can get an idea then of who might be a problem chicken.

Chipmunk, my D'Anver hen, will pace the cage of new arrivals, fluffed up like she's some kind of chicken cop on patrol. So she's the one who gets locked up on introduction day. After the others play nice, then I let her back out, she does her thing, and everyone settles back in. I have 3 places in my coop where they can seperate themselves.. egg room, roost, above egg room. My standards hid in the egg room for about a week, before finding their place on the roost. And chipmunk shares the roost with them. Took 2 weeks of seperation, and 2 weeks total of integration for my flock.

Thanks everyone
smile.png
Yes...they are being quarantines in a different area of my house. My standard EEs are about a month old right now...the incoming bantam chickens are about 8-12 weeks (the last I'm getting them from just had a baby and hasn't exactly been keeping close notes on how many weeks they are). When I do get them (hopefully tomorrow) I am going to post some pics...she has no real idea of breed (other than that their parents lay green eggs) or gender (though hopefully I'll be able to tell some differences within the group....then I can see the little roos packing-keep an eye out for them offered here!). Again, thanks everyone...never have I found such a useful site and such a nice group of people
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom