Can you put younger chicks in with older ones?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IggiMom, May 11, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I have some successive hatches going on, a few days apart from each other.

Can I put the newer ones in, or will the bigger ones pick on them?

I have not done hatching for myself before, always got chicks from a hatchery all at the same time.

Thanks.

2. Nature Watcher

Nature Watcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    They should be fine if they are no more than three days apart from each other.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2009
  3. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Thanks!

4. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I actually put 1 1/2 week olds with 3 day olds. I put both sets in a different brooder box than what they were used to. I think it helped having a complete change of scenery and they all got along great! Hope this helps! [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I have some together that are closer to 3 weeks apart, as long as the older ones allow the new ones to eat/drink, and are not picking on them everything will be fine. Just watch them for a little while.

6. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I too have put in younger chicks with older. I set two eggs two weeks after my last batch because I could not see throwing them out. Only one hatched and I put it in with the ones that were 2+ weeks older. I watched them closely for a day or two and they are doing fine now.

7. calibersway

calibersway Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2009
    Roxboro North Carolina
    at the moment i have all different breeds (cochins, silkies, a white rock, EE's, and mystery chicks) from 1 - 3.5 weeks old together, i've found over the past 3 years, when your introducing new ones in, as long as there is more than one, they seem to have no problem, especially if its new environment and the older/bigger ones don't start thinking 'oh this is mine, what are you doing here?' kind of thing.

My older chicks right now, seem very protective of the smaller little bannies.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    We discovered last weekend that our 2-month-old chicks (pullets now?) aren't nearly as interested in the 2-week-olds as the year-olds are in hurting the 2-month olds.

(got that?) [​IMG]

So, we're going to try to integrate the youngest with the tweens rather than put the tweens in with the adults.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by