Can you raise baby chicks in the coop?

You definitely need them indoors for the 1st week, that's to make sure there eating and drinking, also monitor for any health issues. Then you can place them in the coop.

What temperature is "quite cold"? (And please state whether you're using fahrenheit or celsius.)
x2.

Unlike some others when I say I brood outdoors, I'm doing it in the run, and as soon as I get them (2-3 days old). As long as they stay dry and have a draft-free, heated area to use, they've been fine down to mid 40Fs. I also use a mama heating pad. I've never lost a chick brooding that way and they seem a lot perkier and energetic compared to chicks brooded inside the house.

x2.

Unlike some others when I say I brood outdoors, I'm doing it in the run, and as soon as I get them (2-3 days old). As long as they stay dry and have a draft-free, heated area to use, they've been fine down to mid 40Fs. I also use a mama heating pad. I've never lost a chick brooding that way and they seem a lot perkier and energetic compared to chicks brooded inside the house.
I'm sure its possible depending on the time of year,weather,heat source,breed of chick,age,health and type of set up you have.Our last frost date is +- middle May.

I'm sure its possible depending on the time of year,weather,heat source,breed of chick,age,health and type of set up you have.Our last frost date is +- middle May.
Agreed. I've always aimed for chicks in May myself, because it's after frost (May 1st, I plant my tomatoes and basil) and also less rainy than earlier in the spring. Since the brooder sits directly on the run floor and the run is unroofed, I need as little rain as possible to help me keep the brooder dry.

I'm about to make a new coop and I was wondering if I could use any spare space to brood chicks.
Obviously the brooder will be off limits to the hens, and I'll use a heat lamp.
Has anyone done this before?

I think others have dissuaded you already, but I have to chime in.

Please don't use a heat lamp in a coop EVER. I personally have burned a coop down doing this (and nearly the house too). I've had friends who have burned a coop down using a heat lamp. The dust created by chickens is enormous, even chicks. That heats up at the lamp and combusts. So NEVER, EVER use a heat lamp in a coop.

There is a heating pad method by one of the members here (@aart ?) that might be an option.

I personally use brooding hens in the coop with great success. To get started I sought out Silkie breeders and picked up a very broody gal that was a proven momma. That has worked wonderfully, and SAFELY, and now I have regular coop brooding within the flock after generations of raising with broodies.

But never, ever, a heat lamp in the coop again. We almost lost everything on the property. (It went up like a roman candle...you can see the result on my member page here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/lady-of-mccamleys-member-page.53374/.

Good luck with your flock.
LofMc

In answer to what time of year, I can't resist.

With annoyingly frequent brooders, like a stable of Silkie gals (and now their mixed breed daughters), I pretty much can brood, if I want, about every 3 months, no matter the season.

My gals have hatched in the dead of winter, snow on the ground, freezing rain...all you need is a loving momma hen, dry covered run, plenty of shavings in the coop nest.

My broody hatched babes (and I've heard the mother heating pad works similar) grow faster, lay earlier, and are far stronger and healthier than my artificial lamp babes...and yes, one year I did side by side comparison.

Babes do NOT need high heat temps to be strong. You actually thwart their growth like hot house plants. They simply need a warming hutch (momma or heat pad) then safe ability to run around in their down jackets dry.

Look again at my member page (photo wouldn't upload here). You can see my broodies out in the run with the snow on the ground...there are babes at their feet (which are hard to see as they blend into the bark). Those hatched in January with snow on the ground...and were laying by about 16 weeks.

LofMc

Here's an article I like, about someone who broods chicks in a section of their coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/my-coop-brooder-and-integration.74591/
(I also like aart's article, but that's already been mentioned.)

What temperature is "quite cold"? (And please state whether you're using fahrenheit or celsius.)

I've brooded chicks in several different coop-type setting with a heat lamp. With a heat lamp, I'm sure they can be fine no matter what the outdoor temperature is. Just make sure the area directly under the lamp is the right temperature, and the rest is warm enough that water does not freeze, and then they can run back and forth as they please.

Chicks can be raised with a broody hen when nights drop below freezing (chicks stay warm under the hen at night) and days are somewhat above freezing (chicks pop out to eat, then go back under to stay warm. As they get older, they spend more time out from under the hen.)

I don't have any personal experience with a MHP, so you'll have to hear from someone who uses it.
Sometimes is goes down to 10°C here but I'm hatching next spring so it could go up to 20°C

I think others have dissuaded you already, but I have to chime in.

Please don't use a heat lamp in a coop EVER. I personally have burned a coop down doing this (and nearly the house too). I've had friends who have burned a coop down using a heat lamp. The dust created by chickens is enormous, even chicks. That heats up at the lamp and combusts. So NEVER, EVER use a heat lamp in a coop.

There is a heating pad method by one of the members here (@aart ?) that might be an option.

I personally use brooding hens in the coop with great success. To get started I sought out Silkie breeders and picked up a very broody gal that was a proven momma. That has worked wonderfully, and SAFELY, and now I have regular coop brooding within the flock after generations of raising with broodies.

But never, ever, a heat lamp in the coop again. We almost lost everything on the property. (It went up like a roman candle...you can see the result on my member page here https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/lady-of-mccamleys-member-page.53374/.

Good luck with your flock.
LofMc
Ok ok I will NOT use a heat lamp!

Ok so I'm thinking...
  1. In the house for week 1
  2. In the coop all all day until week 4
  3. Let them in the run week 4 onwards
  4. Integrate them week 7-9

Back
Top Bottom