Can you raise one turkey?

T3rrorToff33

Chirping
Nov 27, 2021
Looking for advice on an idea i had for next year. My family and I really like turkey and wanted to make one for Christmas but we are a tad short on money so i had the idea to raise one for slaughter next year.

Im working to build a chicken coup and run in my garden with my neighbors for eggs and meat, and I'm wondering if a single turkey chick could be raised by chickens and have a good quality of life until reaching slaughter age? Have any of you done that before? If yes id love to hear about your experiences with this! :)

EDIT: so what im gathering is that itd be better to raise a few turkeys instead of raising a single one in a chicken flock. Might be able to pull that off with the right ammount of preperation, we do have the space for it theoretically

Last edited:
Looking for advice on an idea i had for next year. My family and I really like turkey and wanted to make one for Christmas but we are a tad short on money so i had the idea to raise one for slaughter next year.

Im working to build a chicken coup and run in my garden with my neighbors for eggs and meat, and I'm wondering if a single turkey chick could be raised by chickens and have a good quality of life until reaching slaughter age? Have any of you done that before? If yes id love to hear about your experiences with this! :)
Lots of things can go wrong when trying to raise a single poult. To start with it needs a high protein turkey or game bird starter for at least the first 6 weeks.

^What he said. Also where will you get just one turkey poult? I did raise one male by himself (his siblings did not survive) and he grew up to have aggression problems, but it sounds like you will eat your turkey so that won't be a problem.

Raising a turkey is not cheaper than buying one at the grocery store.
Before Thanksgiving one was selling them for 0.33 a lb, limit 2, to get people in the store. Other stores had butterball for 0.89 a lb. Organic was $1.99 a lb
Around here they were free if you spent enough money. At the current cost of groceries, it would be easy for a family to spend that much.

Raising a turkey is not cheaper than buying one at the grocery store.
Before Thanksgiving one was selling them for 0.33 a lb, limit 2, to get people in the store. Other stores had butterball for 0.89 a lb. Organic was $1.99 a lb
DAMN, yeah no you are NOT getting an organic turkey for that little in germany. i paid 20 euros for an orcanic 5lb rooster recently. We eat poultry VERY rarely for this reason, and its also why we want to raise our own chickens.

DAMN, yeah no you are NOT getting an organic turkey for that little in germany. i paid 20 euros for an orcanic 5lb rooster recently. We eat poultry VERY rarely for this reason, and its also why we want to raise our own chickens.
Normally Organic turkey is $6 to 8 and chicken is $3 to $6 a lb by me.
Regular chicken is under a dollar a lb on sale

Back
Top Bottom