Can You Sell Fertillized Eggs?

sophiaw00

Songster
Apr 27, 2015
Illinois
I have 8 pullets currently that aren't laying yet. I am planning on getting a rooster to protect them. The point of getting the chicks was for an agriculture project. I was supposed to raise the chicks and sell the eggs. If I get a rooster and he fertillizes the eggs, will they still be sellable (I will obviously collect them every day so they don't have a chance to develop).

I have 8 pullets currently that aren't laying yet. I am planning on getting a rooster to protect them. The point of getting the chicks was for an agriculture project. I was supposed to raise the chicks and sell the eggs. If I get a rooster and he fertillizes the eggs, will they still be sellable (I will obviously collect them every day so they don't have a chance to develop).

Fertilized eggs that have not been subjected to incubation are no different (from a consumption point) than unfertilized eggs. Without closely examining the germinal disc on the yolk you can't even tell a fertile egg from an unfertilized egg. Your plan of daily collection will be all you need. There is nothing about being fertilized that would make the eggs unsuited for selling - provided you meet the rest of any requirements laid out for your locality with regards to selling farm fresh eggs.

Back
Top Bottom