Can you sex purple peachicks around 2 months old???

BackYard Sheena

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
Craigsville, WV
I am considering buying these peachicks from someone local.

She says this one is a purple split (I am confused because shouldn't there be a color after the word split to indicate what the split color is. Or is purple the split color and it's actually another color?)

And that this one is an "indigo purple".

She said both are around 2 months old, I am wondering can these be sexed??? I know the pictures aren't very clear, sorry, but that is what she sent me. If there are things I should look for to indicate gender, that can't be seen in the pictures, can someone let me know so if I see them in person I can make my decision.

She is also selling them for $75 per bird. Does that seem fair given the age and color variation? I can seem to find much to compare to online for those colors using google!! I wish I knew more about them but I've only ever looked at the traditional blue ones.

Thank you in advance for any and all help :)

Those aren't pictures of two-month old birds. Can you ask her to send you more recent pictures? If so, someone here might be able to give you some help...

They look way younger than 2 months old in those photos, more like 3 weeks.
The first one is a black shouldered and if she said split purple it means one of the parents is purple but the baby does not show that color
the second could be purple but very had to see in the photos to say for sure.
Did she call this chick and indgo purple? there is no such color as far as i know, there is an India blue which is a common color.

what you should pay i do not have a clue, some folks seem to be fetching a high price on different colors but i only have India blues ,, whites and India blue pieds and i ask the same price for all of them where others charge more for pieds and white than they do for plain ol India blues

When i started out with peas i bought the common blues for my first birds because they are very delicate birds especial when young so if i was gonna take a chance on loosing any i would rather loose a 25 dollar baby verses a 50 to 100 dollar baby

That is what she called it :/ I know I can't really find anything on that color either other than a website saying they use it to describe a shade of purple they sometimes hatch. Maybe this lady is doing the same, idk.

I will see if she will send me more recent pictures. Thank you both very much :)

These are pictures of my little Purple Swee-Pea. Her daddy is a Purple and her mama is an IB.
In the first pic her little brooder mates have pecked on her eye.
sad.png

ETA, she is three months old.

These are full back views. I think the absence of barring is what determines that she is a hen.

Good news, the brooder mates are no longer pecking at her eye.

The first picture you posted looks a lot like Black Shoulder to me, it could possibly be a crossing of a Purple and BS.
Your second my be what I have here, I don't know, a better picture would help.

Last edited:
Ya can't find anything on indigo purple cause there isn't anything to find
wink.png
Someone that sold some peas to here most likely told her that is what they were and if you don't do research on peas you would not know there wasn't such a color, i have read where people sometimes refer to their India blue peafowl as indigo blue or indigo blue black shouldered, but they were new to peafowl and learning,

Lots of miss information out there , that is why i love this forum cause we are hungry for the truth here and learn so much together and get along doing it
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom