Can you spot a Roo or two?? Or more?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aamanda, Sep 15, 2013.

1. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2. And it were me I would be all over the refund, especially when pullets cost more than strait run or roosters do! I would also like to know where you got them from?

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I'm with everyone else, that's more than 50% cockerels in those photos. What hatchery? And definitely get a refund for those boys.

As far as the person that asked about Meyer--I get a lot of babies from them since they're within driving distance for me. I've never had a problem with roosters in my sexed pullet order.

3. newbie32

newbie32 Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    [​IMG]Well that's good to know! Although everyone keeps telling me I have Polish Roo. Hopefully NOT. Lady I buy from says she always orders hers from Meyers and they are all sexed as females.

I think everyone here wants to know the source of these birds! PLEASE TELL!
    I would be on the phone screaming until I got my way!

At the very least-at least you have your roosters you wanted, plus a few pullets for eggs [​IMG]

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Crowing

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You may very well have a boy. Meyer, like most hatcheries, only guarantees a 90% success rate when sexing chicks. They usually do better than 90%, but somebody out there's gonna get a surprise boy. When you sex chicks, sometimes they are a bit ambiguous and you just have to guess--and sometimes, they guess wrong. Personally, I'm amazed that they do as well as they do. Can you imagine looking up the vents of millions upon millions of chicks each year?

1 person likes this.
  5. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Hey all. Sorry I dont have internet at home and cant figure out how to reply from my phone. I got them from Cackle Hatchery in Missouri and YES!! I am working on getting a refund or credit. I was hoping for one rooster.....NOT as many as I have. Plus There are three more I gave to my dad and have not actually laid eyes on in a bit so im not sure he does not have a rooster as well.

6. KelsiNS

KelsiNS Songster

Jun 24, 2013
    Buna, TX
    I ordered from Meyer and got 2/34 whoopsy roos.

I see 3, possibly 4 roos. My pullets had some big combs at that age but grew into them.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    It will be awhile yet before you know what you have, but it looks more like somebody sent you straight run chicks rather than sexed pullets. At least I hope so, that is one mistake, rather than however many roosters mistake.

8. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    Yep. Seems to me that its more like a straight run. I have sent my email to the hatchery. But I know they may simply give me a credit for a few roosters. The diff in price is only 55 cents so even a four dollar credit wont help me much in replacing roosters with hens. Looks like in a few months I will be posting more pics with a "Keep it or Eat it" poll lol.

9. newbie32

newbie32 Songster

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    X2! And I would be asking for free shipping next time around. I always ask for a bonus when a mistake is made by a company. It never hurts to ask, all they can say is no. But if you push the issue you should get your way. And make sure they give it in writing or email the agreement that is made. My auto dealership messed up a routine fix. HEHE I made them fix it and I got a free car rental for a day and I got a free oil change plus a coupon for another free oil change. [​IMG]You just gotta continuously point out how the problem is theirs not yours.

Say something like this-Because of YOUR mistake I now have to get more sexed chicks. I now have to pay MORE money to feed them and raise them, so you need to pay for shipping on my next order because I shouldn't need to order another shipment anyways. It is your fault that I need more pullets, not mine.

that should work-If they say no then tell them you want something besides 55cents each to compensate for the error they made.-LET US KNOW!

1 person likes this.
  10. Aamanda

Aamanda Chirping

Aug 29, 2013
    Linn Creek, MO
    I still have not heard back. I sent the pics a few days ago. Gonna call tomorrow and check in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: