Can you stop a chicken laying question.

Col1948

Songster
Sep 9, 2018
Manchester UK
This may be an odd question but I have 5 hens and only one laying at the moment, the problem is she has been laying soft shell eggs now since I've had her for about 2 months.

I had another that was laying regular but she stopped a few weeks ago, her eggs were perfect, they have all been on the same feed including layer pellets plus plenty of broken egg shell and oyster shell and grit etc.

The soft egg layer seems to break the shell as she leaves the nest, the odd time the shell has broken that much I've had to clean out the nest box because the egg is all over the base.
I have managed most times to rescue the egg as it is only slightly broken and I've cracked it in a dish, but if I'm not there as she leaves the nest I'm worried the other hens may start to eat it and I don't want that to start.

So to my question, I know she may stop soon anyway but is there a way to stop her laying and hopefully in the spring she may start to lay good hard shelled eggs?

This may be an odd question but I have 5 hens and only one laying at the moment, the problem is she has been laying soft shell eggs now since I've had her for about 2 months.

I had another that was laying regular but she stopped a few weeks ago, her eggs were perfect, they have all been on the same feed including layer pellets plus plenty of broken egg shell and oyster shell and grit etc.

The soft egg layer seems to break the shell as she leaves the nest, the odd time the shell has broken that much I've had to clean out the nest box because the egg is all over the base.
I have managed most times to rescue the egg as it is only slightly broken and I've cracked it in a dish, but if I'm not there as she leaves the nest I'm worried the other hens may start to eat it and I don't want that to start.

So to my question, I know she may stop soon anyway but is there a way to stop her laying and hopefully in the spring she may start to lay good hard shelled eggs?

Probably not. Usually new layers can have this happen but eventually get it right. You could give calcium supplement in water. Here are some other options including ideas for feeding different options that help the uptake of calcium. Check it out. If you have tried all these things in the article and still having trouble should maybe consult a vet.
https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2014/04/soft-shelled-or-rubber-eggs-causes-and.html?m=1

Hi Melky, yes I have tried a couple of different supplements I should have said, I know it can happen and it takes time for some hens to get it right.
There has on a very odd occasion she laid a decent egg without it breaking, then the next day it was soft or very brittle.

Have you tried ACV in the water to help the uptake of calcium? There are also calcium rich greens in the article you can try if available to increase calcium rich diet. If all fails just seek vet advice. I know you can stop laying with added hormones but that typically is not what they would normally do in this situation. That is something they do more for internal laying or a spay. You want to correct the problem but not stop laying in this situation Vit D is another important vitamin as described in the article.

Softies are a PITA.
Hopefully she stops laying soon to molt...and when she comes back into lay her stores and condition will be replenished and she'll lay good eggs again.

Had a chronic soft shell layer this summer, trying to catch those eggs and/or cleaning nests can become a real trial, after trying various 'cures' over weeks and weeks she made great soup. Some birds just have wonky reproductive systems that nothing will cure. This one one that I did not slaughter myself (long story), kind wish I could have to take a look in there.

Another way to stop laying is to keep them in the dark and/or reduce their feed,
it's how commercial egg factories control the molt.

Thanks, I have tried different calcium things, she eats what the others eat plus when the good egg layer was laying she had the same food, so it was just this one who was having the soft shells.
I'll wait it out and hope for the best in spring, it's just a bit of a pain at the moment catching the eggs at the right time.

Back
Top Bottom