Can you taxidermy a rooster?

Pics
If nothing else taxidermy should be done in a respectful manner.
Respectful is subjective like so many other things. :hmm

This was an interesting read on taxidermy, even if considered a generic resource..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxidermy

It breaks my heart to see how they used the animals. It isn’t funny at all, we can all agree on that :(
No, I didn't find it funny either.. but consider photo shop type software a viable suspect source for shocking images and realize there are psycho's everywhere.. acknowledging a little mad scientist (and occasional animal surgeon) inside myself.. :oops:

I agree that it looked appalling and like a train wreck.. but how little of that "rogue taxidermy" takes place pales in comparison to the heart break I (personally) feel about worldwide animal OVER consumption and farming practices in general.. I guess.. so not delightful, but too many other things for me to really considers images on the webs TOO deeply or allow them access into my heart, it's reserved for higher priorities! :hugs

I know I wouldnt want my body to look like a human centipede after I die let alone have someone do that to any creature.
Ya, it's weird to consider how our bodies will be desecrated after we pass. I don't want mine drained of blood and replaced with embalming chemicals before being stuck in an over priced box in a plot of land that was sold by someone who should not have had rights to it in the first place.. On one hand.. I think, toss me out to the buzzards. On the other hand I wonder if I could allow that for one of my kids or loved ones. That who respectful being subjective thing. :pop

No, I didn't find it funny either.. but consider photo shop type software a viable suspect source for shocking images and realize there are psycho's everywhere.. acknowledging a little mad scientist (and occasional animal surgeon) inside myself.. :oops:

I agree that it looked appalling and like a train wreck.. but how little of that "rogue taxidermy" takes place pales in comparison to the heart break I (personally) feel about worldwide animal OVER consumption and farming practices in general.. I guess.. so not delightful, but too many other things for me to really considers images on the webs TOO deeply or allow them access into my heart, it's reserved for higher priorities! :hugs

I agree. (I know I say that a lot, but it’s true!)

I did consider photo shop, and while it’s a possibility, the image will stay with me forever as a window into how cruel humans can be.

I tried to write something in agreement to what you said about over consumption, but I think that what you said is true. It’s sad, but it’s what we have come to :(

Respectful is subjective like so many other things. :hmm

This was an interesting read on taxidermy, even if considered a generic resource..
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxidermy

Ya, it's weird to consider how our bodies will be desecrated after we pass. I don't want mine drained of blood and replaced with embalming chemicals before being stuck in an over priced box in a plot of land that was sold by someone who should not have had rights to it in the first place.. On one hand.. I think, toss me out to the buzzards. On the other hand I wonder if I could allow that for one of my kids or loved ones. That who respectful being subjective thing. :pop
They dont allow it (yet) here in the US but what you're referring to is called a "Sky burial" and they do it in Tibet. They have to because they dont have a choice. But you're very right about the expensive boxes. People pay big money for them. Even more for ones that supposedly are sealed but the fact of the matter is oncr putrification starts gases are emitted by the body and those sealed, worm proof coffins EXPLODE. Dont get me started on how bad formaldehyde is for the environment!

They dont allow it (yet) here in the US but what you're referring to is called a "Sky burial" and they do it in Tibet.
Ooh, I did see some "experiments" taking place, possibly here in California at one of the UC's.

I hadn't heard that term before, but it sounds.. "nice". Sky burial. :cool:

I feel like the have's.. compared to the have not's.. As long as I don't look at the real have's.. I KNOW that I could have just about anything.. I subscribe to the reason of the expensive burial being for disease control.. but it's really about the $.. in the US we are doing what we were taught.. NOT because it's right (environmentally) or what we want (morally) but because we were brainwashed.. I pledged allegiance to a flag as a child when I had NO clue what that meant.. I didn't know the TRUTH about the Native American Holocaust, nor would I have openly taken part in it. Today I pledge allegiance to Love.. right here on YOUR thread! :D

Also, you can see that I think we should ALL question EVERY thing we were taught and see how it lines up with reality.. and to never stop learning and growing.. recognize that's exactly what knowledge is.. a changing in understanding or perception.. Pluto isn't a planet any longer, and the sun isn't the center of the galaxy, Earth isn't flat.. extreme examples of reasons to remain open minded.. I cannot believe the sort of hate and bigotry I was taught about people who were different than me.

I did consider photo shop, and while it’s a possibility, the image will stay with me forever as a window into how cruel humans can be.
Dress that image up in a way you can accept more easily then. ;) Letting something like an image eat you alive is a personal choice and hurts yourself terribly. If that "art" were a better outlet than someone kidnapping and using people for something sinister.. or they're using deceased or even humanely harvested animals.. it might still be better than keeping "weird" (different) tendencies bottled up until they burst out in more harmful ways or turn it inward and grow into mental illness.

I really want and need to address your statement about how cruel humans can be.. I thought that before keeping animals and watching nature.. Keep this as a window to grace.. now I know.. all of nature is brutal.. and it really isn't all blossoms and butterflies! I raised my kids with just about every other word out of my mouth being how much "I HATE people".. Alas, this chicken math adventures and time spent as a hermit and here on BYC has culminated in me loving, and accepting HUMANS for doing what comes natural to them! :oops:

Some behaviors not seen in humans VERY often but regularly in nature..

Rats eat their own young.. if they run out of food, water, or even just get too hot.

Bear males kill offspring of a female to bring her back into heat sooner.

Some ill females will be mated to death. Some species will continue to mate a dead animal. Some flocks will draw blood on an individual and get so excited by the taste might cannibalize that individual. In fact, chickens are prejudice.. and birds of a feather totally flock together.. isolating an individual who looks different.. even their own moms will ditch an oddball in nature..

I've seen female flock mates pull a new chick out from under a sitting broody and ultimately kill it. Most women would not kill another's offspring or make sure we ate before they did like chickens will. I share this because it has been very awakening and healing to realize that not all of mankind has risen above its' nature.. and (in addition to its' beauty) nature is (can be) cruel! :eek:
https://www.audubon.org/news/nature-cant-exist-without-suffering-and-we-cant-change

I no longer "hate" people. But realize people let me down verses I don't have much expectation from the animals. I'm familiar with people and familiarity breeds contempt. The reason some folks are kinder to strangers than those they claim to love.

Animals tend to wear their heart on their sleeves.. they don't hide how they are feeling.. they are manipulative though and jealous and communicate without words.. and without all the added layers of expectation.. We all need acceptance.. not all of us came into decent families or have the correct hormone/chemical balance in our brains/bodies to make the *right* (normally accepted) connections.
I tried to write something in agreement to what you said about over consumption, but I think that what you said is true. It’s sad, but it’s what we have come to :(
Ahh.. see, what I've come to is the freedom to make my own choice without judging others for theirs.. and feel super thankful for my awareness! But, nah.. I don't accept the label "what we've come to" and trade it for this is where we are but we're still heading... I know it's semantics, but I PROMISE your focus changes things! Use a horse for example.. make it go anywhere you want by which way you point it's head. :wee

Ooh, I did see some "experiments" taking place, possibly here in California at one of the UC's.

I feel like the have's.. compared to the have not's.. As long as I don't look at the real have's.. I KNOW that I could have just about anything.. I subscribe to the reason of the expensive burial being for disease control.. but it's really about the $.. in the US we are doing what we were taught.. NOT because it's right (environmentally) or what we want (morally) but because we were brainwashed.. I pledged allegiance to a flag as a child when I had NO clue what that meant.. I didn't know the TRUTH about the Native American Holocaust, nor would I have openly taken part in it. Today I pledge allegiance to Love.. right here on YOUR thread! :D

Also, you can see that I think we should ALL question EVERY thing we were taught and see how it lines up with reality.. and to never stop learning and growing.. recognize that's exactly what knowledge is.. a changing in understanding or perception.. Pluto isn't a planet any longer, and the sun isn't the center of the galaxy, Earth isn't flat.. extreme examples of reasons to remain open minded.. I cannot believe the sort of hate and bigotry I was taught about people who were different than me.

Dress that image up in a way you can accept more easily then. ;) Letting something like an image eat you alive is a personal choice and hurts yourself terribly. If that "art" were a better outlet than someone kidnapping and using people for something sinister.. or they're using deceased or even humanely harvested animals.. it might still be better than keeping "weird" (different) tendencies bottled up until they burst out in more harmful ways or turn it inward and grow into mental illness.

I really want and need to address your statement about how cruel humans can be.. I thought that before keeping animals and watching nature.. Keep this as a window to grace.. now I know.. all of nature is brutal.. and it really isn't all blossoms and butterflies! I raised my kids with just about every other word out of my mouth being how much "I HATE people".. Alas, this chicken math adventures and time spent as a hermit and here on BYC has culminated in me loving, and accepting HUMANS for doing what comes natural to them! :oops:

Rats eat their own young.. if they run out of food, water, or even just get too hot.

Some ill females will be mated to death. Some species will continue to mate a dead animal. Some flocks will draw blood on an individual and get so excited by the taste might cannibalize that individual. In fact, chickens are prejudice.. and birds of a feather totally flock together.. isolating an individual who looks different.. even their own moms will ditch an oddball in nature..

I've seen female flock mates pull a new chick out from under a sitting broody and ultimately kill it. Most women would not kill another's offspring or make sure we ate before they did like chickens will. I share this because it has been very awakening and healing to realize that not all of mankind has risen above its' nature.. and (in addition to its' beauty) nature is (can be) cruel! :eek:
https://www.audubon.org/news/nature-cant-exist-without-suffering-and-we-cant-change

I no longer "hate" people. But realize people let me down verses I don't have much expectation from the animals. I'm familiar with people and familiarity breeds contempt. The reason some folks are kinder to strangers than those they claim to love.

Animals tend to wear their heart on their sleeves.. they don't hide how they are feeling.. they are manipulative though and jealous and communicate without words.. and without all the added layers of expectation.. We all need acceptance.. not all of us came into decent families or have the correct hormone/chemical balance in our brains/bodies to make the *right* (normally accepted) connections.

Ahh.. see, what I've come to is the freedom to make my own choice without judging others for theirs.. and feel super thankful for my awareness! But, nah.. I don't accept the label "what we've come to" and trade it for this is where we are but we're still heading... I know it's semantics, but I PROMISE your focus changes things! Use a horse for example.. make it go anywhere you want by which way you point it's head. :wee
Wow that’s a lot there! I didn’t consider nature in equivalent to humans when it comes to different types cruelty and such. It’s true, that animals have evolved in a way that these behaviors have come with them. This leads me to believe it’s a necessary thing if it has surrvived this long. (But I could be wrong)

I don’t HATE people exactly... I acknowledge what you say is true. However, unlike these other animals in nature there ARE things humans do that don’t exactly deserve a pat on the back. I’m always open to others opinions, and Im always changing my own. But there are so MANY opinions and sources of evidence that I can’t always re-form my own so it’s hard to add to what you said.

I like the cut of your jib. I recall coming home one day after we learned about the atrocities the indians faced and yelling at my parents for lying to me. I promised myself that when I do become a parent that I will not lie to my children because "I dont think they can handle the truth". To admit that someone cant handle the truth is baffling because eventually, they will have to because it is fact. You cant dumb things down for people because it makes them happy. They do it to make people complacent. I dont hate people I just hate ignorance. It is a disease that spreads even faster than our current pandemic via lies, misinformation and propaganda. Anyways I'll get down from my soap box now.:gig

Its definitely possible, and from the sounds of it the ones you saw were poorly done. Birds tend to be much easier to taxidermy then mammals as you only need to shape the body form for the smaller ones but even then people will find ways to mess it up.

The comb would be a bit mummified most likely or it would need to be replaced with a fake one and I'm guessing for larger birds like a rooster they would also have to fill the legs as well. Its also possible they were vintage but if he was claiming to make them its unlikely.

I am not the most knowledgeable on the topic but I do know the basics and am planning my first mount when it gets warmer (a ethically sourced European starling)

Taxidermy is done is two different ways. One like you said is for scientific studies. These birds/animals are not taxidermied to looks really real, but to fit into storage and still appear as close to the real thing as possible. It’s actually very interesting. Taxidermy as we see for art, is not an easy thing to master or preserve. Museums have to be extremely careful with their displays, many of the taxidermies are over 100 years old, or very delicate. I would never say taxidermy is a bad thing. In fact, I think it’s pretty amazing what can be done.

(UNLESS the animals are killed for it, and sold for high prices)

Your right. Chicks die from natural causes all the time. Absolutely no denying that it’s possible they used naturally dead birds. BUT that doesn’t mean they didn’t.

It breaks my heart to see how they used the animals. It isn’t funny at all, we can all agree on that :(
I don't understand the frenzy over whether these taxidermied birds died of natural causes or not. If there is chicken on your table, or you have ever eaten chicken at a fast-food restaurant, this concern is hypocrisy. How many of these chickens we eat daily died of natural causes? Yet nobody is wringing their hands and weeping over them. Why the concern over how taxidermied birds died? This is puzzling to me, to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom