Can you tell if these birds are white-eye?

SharW75

Songster
Jul 26, 2019
Ohio
This cameo black-shoulder pair came from a group with known white-eyed birds. Could they be white-eyed themselves, or is it too early to tell?

remlilah3.jpg

remlilah4.jpg

Last edited:
I see no signs of White Eye in either of these birds. There are two WE types, split WE and full WE. Full WE will have a white throat patch and quite a bit of white on the flights, they will also have some white or white fringed feathers on their backs. The far left hen in my pic is a Cameo split WE. The hen in your pic does not look Cameo to me at all as Cameo do not have the black/silver feathers that yours show on its back nor are they that color of gray overall.
IMG_9026.JPG

Her pattern is Black Shoulder, her color could be any of the gray mutations, like Opal, Platinum, or Ivory. It would be easier to know the parents colors.
Interesting. I apologize for sounding dumb on the colors. We have only had an IB pair, and I just started learning about ALL the other color mutations. It seems nearly impossible to distinguish subtle differences in colors, like with opal, platinum, and ivory, to the untrained eye, especially when pictures seem so hard to find, and each bird varies so much. I guess more practice and more reading is what I need! Thank you! :)

Internet pictures of peas are notoriously off color because the displays on monitors do not show true colors. Even worse is that people will enhance those colors by making false posts like the 'red' peafowl. They do fanciful changes to the birds' color looking for notoriety or clicks. Colors of peas are not from pigment but rather from light refraction. Feathers are like prisms bouncing the sunlight and will make drastic changes depending on how the bird turns in the light. Here are pics of the same bird in different lighting. Peas will carry different splits that are unseen but knowing what the parents are can give us clues and that is why we ask what the parents are. However, it is very common that people will misidentify the birds they are selling either by ignorance or deception.
IMG_9357.JPG
IMG_9789.JPG
IMG_9355.JPG

Internet pictures of peas are notoriously off color because the displays on monitors do not show true colors. Even worse is that people will enhance those colors by making false posts like the 'red' peafowl. They do fanciful changes to the birds' color looking for notoriety or clicks. Colors of peas are not from pigment but rather from light refraction. Feathers are like prisms bouncing the sunlight and will make drastic changes depending on how the bird turns in the light. Here are pics of the same bird in different lighting. Peas will carry different splits that are unseen but knowing what the parents are can give us clues and that is why we ask what the parents are. However, it is very common that people will misidentify the birds they are selling either by ignorance or deception. View attachment 3766710View attachment 3766711View attachment 3766715
Boy, you're so right about how the same bird changes color in different lighting! Our India Blue boy looks teal, purple, blue, aqua, whatever, as the light hits him different ways. :)

It really doesn't matter to me what color my birds are (not trying to sound snarky at all! ☮️), I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can about them as individuals. I've loved peafowl since I was a child, and I'm thrilled that I'm finally able to own them! :) It's also awesome that they come in so many beautiful (if somewhat confusing for us beginners) varieties! :wee

And now...a genetics question! :D If my girl is, say, opal, what could the babies look like if she was bred to my cameo boy? Would I get the same outcomes if she was ivory or platinum? Unfortunately, I have no idea what her parents are. Again, I have no interest in breeding for a specific color, just wondering what could hypothetically happen.

Boy, you're so right about how the same bird changes color in different lighting! Our India Blue boy looks teal, purple, blue, aqua, whatever, as the light hits him different ways. :)

It really doesn't matter to me what color my birds are (not trying to sound snarky at all! ☮️), I'm just trying to figure out as much as I can about them as individuals. I've loved peafowl since I was a child, and I'm thrilled that I'm finally able to own them! :) It's also awesome that they come in so many beautiful (if somewhat confusing for us beginners) varieties! :wee

And now...a genetics question! :D If my girl is, say, opal, what could the babies look like if she was bred to my cameo boy? Would I get the same outcomes if she was ivory or platinum? Unfortunately, I have no idea what her parents are. Again, I have no interest in breeding for a specific color, just wondering what could hypothetically happen.
If she is Opal and bred to a Cameo the chicks will all look like IB. The hen chicks will be split to Opal and the cock chicks will be split to both Opal and Cameo. This thread from the Stickies is a good place to start with basic breeding information. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peafowl-101-basic-care-genetics-and-answers.388465/

Beautiful birds, but our girl definitely doesn't look the same. She has some beige feathers in her wings, but most of her back is a very soft dove grey color. Whatever she is, she's gorgeous. :)

Back
Top Bottom