Can you tell me what breed these chicks are?

Cherilanell

In the Brooder
May 22, 2023
This is Tootsie and Rita. We think one is a Patridge Rock and the other was supposed to be an Isa Brown. But we don't think she is. Can you tell me what breed you think they are? Also they should be pullets, not roosters. Does that look accurate?
Tootsie and Rita.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think you have either, but I'm not entirely sure what you have. Plymouth Rocks as chicks are usually black with a little white on their heads and chests and the feathers growing in are black and white. ISA browns look like this as chicks:
1684764692686.png

I don't think you have either, but I'm not entirely sure what you have. Plymouth Rocks as chicks are usually black with a little white on their heads and chests and the feathers growing in are black and white. ISA browns look like this as chicks:
View attachment 3514675
Sorry, I meant Patridge Rock. Yes, we quickly realized that probably Tootsie the bigger one was not an Isa Brown like they told us. I think Rita the front one is likely a Patridge Rock. But no idea what Tootsie is. Someone said maybe a Speckled Sussex. But I think they are more black, too.

Sorry, I meant Patridge Rock. Yes, we quickly realized that probably Tootsie the bigger one was not an Isa Brown like they told us. I think Rita the front one is likely a Patridge Rock. But no idea what Tootsie is. Someone said maybe a Speckled Sussex. But I think they are more black, too.
yes, the one on the bottom looks like a partridge rock. Top isn't an Isa brown. Is there any other breeds they could have been?

Or was it from an assortment pack from a hatchery? Usually those partridge rocks come from hoover.

Plymouth Rocks as chicks are usually black with a little white on their heads and chests and the feathers growing in are black and white.
Plymouth Rock is a breed that can come in many colors.

Barred Plymouth Rocks have the coloring you described. But Plymouth Rocks also come in White, Partridge, Buff, and various other colors.

It is common to skip the "Plymouth" and just call them Barred Rocks, or White Rocks, or Partridge Rocks, or whatever. But Plymouth is part of the breed name, not the term for any specific color of that breed.

Barred Plymouth Rocks have the coloring you described. But Plymouth Rocks also come in White, Partridge, Buff, and various other colors.

It is common to skip the "Plymouth" and just call them Barred Rocks, or White Rocks, or Partridge Rocks, or whatever. But Plymouth is part of the breed name, not the term for any specific color of that breed.
Oh I see! Thank you!

What makes a rock a rock?

What makes a rock a rock?
Are you asking what makes a chicken belong to the "Rock" breed rather than any other breed?

It's just one of the breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association. It has a certain body shape and size, yellow skin, single comb, no feathered feet or crested head or bearded face. There are certain recognized color varieties, although there is also a process for the organization to recognize other varieties at a later date if they get developed (same process for any breed that gets new varieties.)

Are you asking what makes a chicken belong to the "Rock" breed rather than any other breed?

It's just one of the breeds recognized by the American Poultry Association. It has a certain body shape and size, yellow skin, single comb, no feathered feet or crested head or bearded face. There are certain recognized color varieties, although there is also a process for the organization to recognize other varieties at a later date if they get developed (same process for any breed that gets new varieties.)
Yes exactly what I was wondering.
I just read the Wikipedia. Interesting. @NatJ if I really wanted to learn more about chicken and breeding genetics, do you have any good book recommendations? I am certainly not wanting a college level education, but where I could put a hen and a cock in a pen and have somewhat of an idea of what would come out.

Back
Top Bottom