Can you tell so early?

RiverOtter

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 4, 2009
NY
My babies are 3 days old. There are two, a white and a brown, who will about once an hour, stretch really tall up on their toes and make a distinctive Peep Peep Peep. I am pretty sure it is always the same two. The brown is a pretty rich shade of brown and the white is one of the bigger ones and very fluffy. So can't be 100% sure, but pretty sure it's just those 2 when I hear that call and look to see.

Are they roosters? Can you tell so early? It is a very distinctive stretch-to-the-sky and peep.

Ime They Are Baby Gamebirds Looking For More Babies Or Mamma. All Seces I Have Do That Very Same Behavior/ For Unknodn Reasons Not Everyone Of Them Will Do It, But As Far As Sexes Go I Do Have Both Sexes That Do It (i Have A 2 Ring Neck Pheasants Hens Doing As We Type... With These Guys There's No Doubt About Sex At A Very Early Age As It Is Readily Apparent By Their Eye Patch That Tells You Who's Roo And Who's Hen..)

Awww, now I am wondering if I should give them a feather duster or something
sad.png
They must want Momma, there are 30-odd babies in that brooder.

Just give them a warm brooder, good GBS, clean tap water, and let them grow up!

ME thinks you are over thinking things
wink.png

They will be fine if they are warm enough, have plenty of good feed, and clean water. They will bond to and comfort each other, no feather duster required.

I always use a feather duster in the brooder. I started using it when I had some solo duck hatches, but the critters really seem to like having a pile a feathers to run under and out and under and out and under and out....
big_smile.png
It mimics natural behavior so why not? Especially since they cost about $1.

X2

They look fine to me as well!

The white one with the full crop...Cool.

Remember...2-3 days to a coturnix is an eternity.

Quote:
LOL, yeah, I will take the FULL feed dish out, clean the brooder, put the Exact Same FULL feed dish back and they all rush to it and stuff themselves like piglets, scattering feed everywhere and destroying any sort of cleanliness.

big_smile.png
But at least I know how to get them to eat!

Back
Top Bottom