Can you tell what age my pigeons are and their gender,???

silverwarrior

In the Brooder
May 11, 2016

I got this pair of pigeons a few days ago. They are supposed to be a male and female but can you identify which one is which? And do you have any idea about their breed? What age are they can you tell? If I have a female I want to know when she will lay. When do pigeons normally lay? Irrelevant question but should I put any floor covering in their cage? I have soil that I can cover the floor of the cage with.

They are supposed to be a male and female but can you identify which one is which? I would say the white bird is ♂ and grey is ♀ And do you have any idea about their breed? I would guess homers What age are they can you tell? Less than 2 years old. If I have a female I want to know when she will lay. She will lay about 10 days after copulation When do pigeons normally lay?Pigeons begin to lay in February around the 14th stop breeding in late September October. Irrelevant question but should I put any floor covering in their cage? I use nylon mesh feed bags. I have soil that I can cover the floor of the cage with.They are as many solutions to this problem as there are pigeon fanciers.
In my loft I do not bother with bedding I find as my pigeons fly from on area to another the bedding migrates to the outer perimeter of the structure leaving the floor exposed.
Instead I have 3 tarps that I interchange when necessary.
Leave the soiled tarp in the sun for the poop to bake and harden and it just flakes off when I drag the back side of my garden rake over it. Fold the tarp in half and then just pour it into my compost bin.

In my nest boxes I fold a feed bag to fit. When a bag gets soiled; fold a new one; pop out the soiled; pop in the new. Feed bags are a nylon mesh bag.
Frozen poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off in summer when left out in the sun to bake and dry.

I have 65 trips around the sun it is the best method I have stumbled upon.

Make sure the twine is removed from the open end of the bag it can get tangled around your birds.

I use a 10" dog bowl for pigeon nest filled with pine needles or wood shavings.

Easy Peasy.

Back
Top Bottom