Can you train chickens to do tricks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MILOCHICKEN, Mar 26, 2018.

1. MILOCHICKEN

MILOCHICKEN Chirping

Nov 27, 2016
    Wellsburg, NY
    My Coop
    Can you train chickens to do tricks?

2. silkie10

silkie10 Songster

May 3, 2017
    Carthage, NC
    You can teach a chicken to do a lot of things really. If you are patient and train them often.

SueT likes this.
  3. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Chickens are very smart----I taught my Sebright bantam to fly onto my arm like a falcon....
    silvi in flight (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  4. SueT

SueT Free Ranging

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    This little Brahma hen pecks at a light up keyboard....and plays America the Beautiful. She was on America's Got Talent last year....

Crow-ded house and m1chelle1 like this.
  5. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Chickens are actually much more intelligent than you may think and they have an amazing memory. They can be trained to do a lot of things with some patience. They can learn their name and come when called just like a dog. My one dark Partridge Silkie, comes running when I call her name. Some of my others will jump right on my lap like a little dog. But as I said, with some patience they can learn some real advanced tricks.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2018
    SueT likes this.
  6. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    The keys on the piano have lights.Chicken is just reacting to keys lighting up.im not saying chicken can't be taught trick but for most part chickens just react to certain situations.chickens come running because you feed them.

7. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    I agree with you, but dogs are taught the same way. If they do something positive, you reward them with treats, food, or other positive reinforcements. Eventually, they get the idea.

sourland likes this.
  8. Hyroler

Hyroler Songster

Aug 1, 2017
    I'm pretty sure intelligence is directly related to the brain

9. potato chip

potato chip Crowing

Jan 3, 2016
    My Coop
    There was a thread when that pianist was on TV. There was a member whose daughter trained their chickens to do tricks. It's like training other animals/birds. Desired behaviour-reward. The little girl had the patience to work with the birds and they would give her the behaviours she had trained them to deliver for the treat.
    You need a lot of patience and persistence.

SueT and sourland like this.
  10. Wolfefarmyard

Wolfefarmyard Songster

Aug 18, 2017
    Gansevoort, NY
    Not exactly... Large animals need larger brains to monitor and run their large organs and higher number of nerve endings. Any measure of brain size must take into account the size of the body. For example, dolphins have MUCH larger brains than us, but we are still more intelligent than them, right?

m1chelle1 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: