Can you train chickens to do tricks?

Chickens are very smart----I taught my Sebright bantam to fly onto my arm like a falcon....
silvi in flight (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
There was a thread when that pianist was on TV. There was a member whose daughter trained their chickens to do tricks. It's like training other animals/birds. Desired behaviour-reward. The little girl had the patience to work with the birds and they would give her the behaviours she had trained them to deliver for the treat.
You need a lot of patience and persistence.

Last edited:
Chickens are actually much more intelligent than you may think and they have an amazing memory. They can be trained to do a lot of things with some patience. They can learn their name and come when called just like a dog. My one dark Partridge Silkie, comes running when I call her name. Some of my others will jump right on my lap like a little dog. But as I said, with some patience they can learn some real advanced tricks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The keys on the piano have lights.Chicken is just reacting to keys lighting up.im not saying chicken can't be taught trick but for most part chickens just react to certain situations.chickens come running because you feed them.

I agree with you, but dogs are taught the same way. If they do something positive, you reward them with treats, food, or other positive reinforcements. Eventually, they get the idea.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure intelligence is directly related to the brain

Not exactly... Large animals need larger brains to monitor and run their large organs and higher number of nerve endings. Any measure of brain size must take into account the size of the body. For example, dolphins have MUCH larger brains than us, but we are still more intelligent than them, right?

Not exactly... Large animals need larger brains to monitor and run their large organs and higher number of nerve endings. Any measure of brain size must take into account the size of the body. For example, dolphins have MUCH larger brains than us, but we are still more intelligent than them, right?

The current thinking is that number of neurons is related to overall intelligence and the number of neurons is not directly related to the size of the brain or body size:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...cats-dogs-or-raccoons/?utm_term=.39abb703a42b

Back
Top Bottom