Can you train chickens to do tricks?

You don't need treats to train a dog .A dog will learn by just positive reinforcement (patting it on head sayings good dog ) or negative reinforcement ( forcefully telling no).I don't believe chicken is capable of that knd of thought process. Chickens are by no means stupid I just think there though process is instinctual not emotional.

Treats are positive reinforcement - anything that the subject finds pleasant is positive reinforcement. For dogs that may be food, toys, play or human interaction. Chickens probably aren't into human interaction they way dogs are but that doesn't mean they can't be trained by positive reinforcement.

You can "train" a chicken to play tic-tac-toe but the bird is not intelligent enough to make the decisions itself. The hen has a tic-tac-toe screen in front of it that lights up to show the hen were to put her X then every time that she makes the correct move she recieves a food reward. You may call this "training" but I do not think it is a trick anymore than a hamster running on a tread mill is a "trick"

Back
Top Bottom