Can you use a dimmer switch on a heatlamp?

yes but make sure it is rated for the full 250 watts some aren't. This is what I ust read under the dimmer talk on the raising chicks thread. Jean

I use one in the brooder in my house. Each week I just dim the light a little more to reduce the heat, plus they start adjusting to having less light. By the time they go to the coop, they have no heat source and they don't freak out because they don't have any light. The dimmer switch is just easier to use...no raising the heat lamps or changing out the light bulbs.

Quote:
Regular light bulb is not enough, heat lamp is too much.

Have you tried a 150 or 175 or 190 watt bulb, that might be just right. Floodlight shaped, and if you look around enough you can find 'em in red.

I believe silkiechicken (moderator) uses a dimmer on her brooder heatlamp.

Pat

Do they make a dimmer switch that is NOT in the wall hardwired ?

Do they have them that you can buy that are inline with your electric cord coming FROM the outlet wall ?

This would be a good thing, as I could use the heat lamp or the reptile ceramic coil hear source.

You mean like this one I've been using for the last year?

Pict5789.jpg

Yes, you can and it is a huge help for transitioning the chicks to less artificial light and heat. Not to mention you no longer have to monkey around with constantly raising and lowering the light.

To make life even easier you could get this:

Dimmable (temp adjusting) Clamp Lamp:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1555

And pair it with this bulb...

Nocturnal Red 150 watt Heat Bulb:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=136

The combo works fantastic!!! I have the light set at a fixed height and all I have to do is adjust the built in dimmer switch to adjust the temp. The Nocturnal 150 watt heat bulb has created the best sleeping conditions so far at night as it has much less visible light. No chicks partying in the wee hours of the morning. They sleep through the night, I sleep soundly, and all is well.

For those of you living in colder climate's they also make the same lamp in a slightly larger size (10") that accommodates a 200 watt bulb.

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom