Can you use christmas lights as a source of light to improve laying

Quote:
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
hugs.gif
Is that a Christmas tree I see in your coop?
lau.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Not a Christmas Tree - just a rosemary bush. DH keeps threatening to put lights on it as well. Chickies love to roost up in it & dig underneath & eat the flowers & watch the world (or doggies) go by..
Chickens-12-06-10-033-1.jpg

I put a small string of white lights in my coop. Just stapled them up high where they couldn't peck at them. Got them set up to a timer to go on around 4 a.m.

Both of my coops have Christmas lights. Boy were my girls mad when I told them, "It isn't for Christmas, it is for egg laying." I took the lights that usually go on the tree. I am a scrooge this year, but the chickens are not.
lol.png

i have been wondering about something and thought this might be a good thread for my question....if you put the extra light on at night and they suddenly go off at ...say 10pm....how do the chickens get on roost or inside and settled when it suddenly goes to darkness?
hu.gif
and i guess if you put them on in the morning early houre then you have crowing at 3-4 in the morning. but atleast they are not lost in the dark.....anyone?

new&learning :

i have been wondering about something and thought this might be a good thread for my question....if you put the extra light on at night and they suddenly go off at ...say 10pm....how do the chickens get on roost or inside and settled when it suddenly goes to darkness?
hu.gif
and i guess if you put them on in the morning early houre then you have crowing at 3-4 in the morning. but atleast they are not lost in the dark.....anyone?

My lights are come on at 6 am to about 8, and then from 5 pm to about 8. I really didn't want the lights coming on too early in the morning and having no light in the evening for me to work around them. I also have a small night light that stays on all night for them. This gives just enough light for them to not be in complete darkness.​

Back
Top Bottom