Canada Goose Question

Willowbrook

Songster
11 Years
Dec 7, 2008
western PA
Today I was at a state park in my area and this massive lake is still frozen over. Out on the ice, close enough for me to see, but not close enough to identify clearly, were three geese.
Two were definitely Canada geese and the third appeared to be a Canada goose, but was dilute in color and pattern.
Are there mutations of the Canada goose or might this be some type of hybrid involving a Canada and a domestic goose?

Thanks for any information.

Yes, there are a couple known mutations in Canadas. There was another thread about this a couple months ago. If you look in Google images under Canada goose mutations, I know there are some pictures there. How exciting! I would love to see one. We are literally overrun with them and I have never seen a rare color mutation, so it must be quite an oddity.

Thanks CC. I did check out the images, but found very few photos of the Canada goose or mutations.
I only wish I had my camera with me as this bird was stunning, at least from a distance.

This particular park is over 16,000 acres and the lake is over 3,200 acres. There is so much wildlife and water fowl that inhabit the park you can't even begin to imagine.

With luck, I may see this goose again!

We had a gorgeous really really light colored canadian goose. It was buff colored with the white markings, absolutely drool worthy! To bad he was wild.

Search "leucistic Canada". That will bring up several really good pictures in the first few pages. I know there were a few websites that also had pictures of blonde Canadas as well, but I didn't see those when I just googled it. You might also find a few if you search for "melanistic Canada", but you might have to sift through several pages. HTH

Thank you CityChicker, this IS the goose that I saw! (leucistic Canada)

leucistacanada.jpg

Alaskaduckgirl, maybe this is the same goos that you are talking about?

Back
Top Bottom