Canadians check in here....

That's really cool! Do you or any one know were i would be able to get Rhode Island Red, Cochins, or Barred Rock pullet's near Kitchener/London Ontario area??? Any were that is a hours drive??
Hi new bird you may want to try going to the Saugeeen Fur & feather Sale in Mount Forest at the fairground on April 28th. It runs from the wee hours of the morning until around noon. Buyer beware of course but there is usually some good birds to be found. Another forum is Poultry Swap Ontario there is another good source to find birds that you are looking for
thumbsup.gif

That's really cool! Do you or any one know were i would be able to get Rhode Island Red, Cochins, or Barred Rock pullet's near Kitchener/London Ontario area??? Any were that is a hours drive??
TSC will have Barred plymouth rocks too. If you don't find whot you want at the local fur and feather show, if you are willing to go over your drive of 1 hr ( If you are like me when you get your mind set on something, your initial boundries of how far you are willing to travel sometimes get stretched lol!) You can check out Performance Poultry in Belleville. I know this is a big drive for you, but he does have cochins. I am sure the fur and feather club will get you what you want though :) Good luck!

Hi I live just outside Newmarket Ontario. I am new to this forum and new to raising backyard chickens!
I worked on an educational farm but since it closed down and I miss my animals so much, I decided to get a four laying hens (red sex-link) for my backyard. I pick them up Wednesday! So egg-cited!
Question for you all though! What do you do with your hens when it's below zero out? So far the spring here has been cold here and I worry about the temperatures.
Thanks!
Nicky

Hi I live just outside Newmarket Ontario. I am new to this forum and new to raising backyard chickens!
I worked on an educational farm but since it closed down and I miss my animals so much, I decided to get a four laying hens (red sex-link) for my backyard. I pick them up Wednesday! So egg-cited!
Question for you all though! What do you do with your hens when it's below zero out? So far the spring here has been cold here and I worry about the temperatures.
Thanks!
Nicky
Hi Nicky,
welcome-byc.gif

My hen-house is insulated and I just make sure they have plenty of clean straw to snuggle up in. They tend to hang out together as well, so their shared body heat helps.
smile.png

Do you still let them out? If not then at what temp is it okay to let the out in? Thanks for the help!
I only keep them in if it's really windy and freezing at the same time. Otherwise I leave it to their discretion. As long as they have food and water they'll generally stay in if it's too cold out for them.

New to BYC and I live in PEI. We have 12 birds was our first winter with birds.

Hello Milli

Good to see another Islander here!

I have a small flock of silver-pencilled Plymouth Rocks. It is increasing as we chat, because there are 20 eggs in an incubator upstairs and 5 chicks in the downstairs bathroom under a heat lamp. Will be moving these outside this week (with the heat lamp).

Do you have laying hens?

Thanks!
Nicky
WElcome Nicky! I am in Barrie :) We should compare coop notes one day, seems hard to find people who live in this area to get site specific advice from. I am getting my first batch of chicks (ever!) in just over 3 weeks!!

Back
Top Bottom