Canadians check in here....

Hello all!

I need help, I live out on a dirt road w farms around but others insist we better check to see if its legal to have chickens here in
Saint-Hippolyte, Quebec. I can't find anything and left to others to discover I'm sure they'll default to just saying its not allowed rather than actually find out for me. So if anyone can tell me if i'm okay to keep chickens or not here I would be eternally grateful. Thank you in advance.

the Mountain Wampus

Hello all!

I need help, I live out on a dirt road w farms around but others insist we better check to see if its legal to have chickens here in
Saint-Hippolyte, Quebec. I can't find anything and left to others to discover I'm sure they'll default to just saying its not allowed rather than actually find out for me. So if anyone can tell me if i'm okay to keep chickens or not here I would be eternally grateful. Thank you in advance.

the Mountain Wampus
If you're in farm country, chances are extremely good that it's legal. The only time you have to really worry about it is in the city. They outlaw certain farm animals due to the noise and the complaints and the lack of acreage. Do you have any nearby neighbours that you could check with?

Hello all!

the Mountain Wampus
Yes I agree, if your on a dirt rd, in farm country, it's almost a given. And who's gonna complain about it there? I would ask neighbors, if they live close, "do they mind. or have a problem" one would asume, you are ok, what else is farm country for? If people close to you have pigs,cows or horses.. I would think forsure you are ok.

Yes I agree, if your on a dirt rd, in farm country, it's almost a given. And who's gonna complain about it there? I would ask neighbors, if they live close, "do they mind. or have a problem" one would asume, you are ok, what else is farm country for? If people close to you have pigs,cows or horses.. I would think forsure you are ok.
Sadly, my french is no good so discussions on poultry laws w the neighbors is pretty tough. I really doubt anyone will be bothered as we have lots of room. The thing is The neighbors sold a piece of their woods between there and here and now new people cleared an area right on our property line cutting the distance to the next neighbor from who cares to **** y are they building so close? I wanted to build my coop near that property line but that will put it in the line of fire for my new neighbors Rotweiller, two small kids and their noses n ears which chickens n roos can offend..
I'm going to move it to a more central area of the property so no one has an excuse to complain, tho I may put my compose heap on the property line to let those people they've crowded me out in the middle of nowhere! lol

Hope everything works out! Keep us updated.
thumbsup.gif

Alberta, Canada.
Anyone else from around here? Also anyone going to the innisfail odd and unusual sale this weekend?

You're from N.B too? Cool! I was raised in N.B before moving to the Philippines. What part of New-Brunswick? I couldn't have chickens in Fredericton.

I work in Fredericton, and live in the Village of Gagetown, we are allowed 10 Hens on an acre... we have a 2 acre plot... I am pushing it a bit but have great neighbours!

Sadly, my french is no good so discussions on poultry laws w the neighbors is pretty tough. I really doubt anyone will be bothered as we have lots of room. The thing is The neighbors sold a piece of their woods between there and here and now new people cleared an area right on our property line cutting the distance to the next neighbor from who cares to **** y are they building so close? I wanted to build my coop near that property line but that will put it in the line of fire for my new neighbors Rotweiller, two small kids and their noses n ears which chickens n roos can offend..
I'm going to move it to a more central area of the property so no one has an excuse to complain, tho I may put my compose heap on the property line to let those people they've crowded me out in the middle of nowhere! lol
Sorry to hear about your new neighbours :(. As for the laws, sorry to be redundant here, but I am in a similar predicament, and the understand I have on my property is it is likely not a problem, seeing as we are rural, but at the end of the day, the key is not to get any complaints, then by-law will probably never bother you no matter what you are technically allowed. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom